Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2020, 17:30   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965
Re: Need opinions on wood refinish

Going back to your original post you said you did not want to tackle this as a major project at this time. All those suggestions thus far are good but involve another major project. No matter whether you revarnish or paint it the process involves stripping and a lot of sanding. Anything else will give a crappy job. Might be clean but will always look like a third class job.
If you may want to spend more time on it later but postpone now I suggest cleaning it up with Murphy oil soap after washing the raw discolored wood with diluted Clorox water then possibly follow that with wood bleach that can be gotten at home stores. Let dry. Gross sand worst areas with 180 or 220 grit sandpaper. Then treat all the wood with teak oil or similar oils and leave it at that.
Go about your other stuff and come back to thus later.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 18:58   #17

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32

Today I went over and murphy oil soaped, wiped with some paint thinner, did a light sanding. All in a little test area. While that resulted in a bit of a clean up it was clear to me that was not going to be a big enough improvement to continue with my original line of thinking. I am afraid a new refinishing project must simply be added to the list of things to do. The cabinet doors can all be removed and taken home to work on which will help. I will experiment with chemical strippers, and a heat gun before I resort to trying to sand the finish off. A number of the cabinet doors will require teak molding to replace missing pieces. Any suggestion on a source for that? Thanks
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 22:47   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Don't sand any veneers, you will go thru in places. Use a heat gun to remove the old varnish, sand lightly, beach with oxalic acid for stains, varnish it!
It's relatively fast,easy and safe if you don't sand the old finish off!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote