Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 10:13   #1

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32
Need opinions on wood refinish

My boat is 55 years old and the inside wood is pretty beat. It appears to be a combination of teak and mahogany veneered ply. The finish is probably original. Looks like a light stain was put on. The finish is flat. It has been sitting on the hard now for a number of years, some mildew and black mold have joined in. I am pretty sure I do not want to take the time to strip everything. To many projects ahead of that. I was thinking maybe a stringent cleaning with something and then a top coat of "something" to pull it together or spruce a bit. Not sure that will work. What are peoples thoughts on that.

squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 10:45   #2

Re: Need opinions on wood refinish

The wood finish is in very poor condition

Tough call

Sandpaper may cut thru the veneers

Perhaps first paint remover and a careful scrape to remove old varnish ,then sand with fine paper
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 13:11   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

1) Murphy's Oil soap cleaning
2) Wipe down with rags lightly soaked in paint thinner
3) light sanding
4) coat and varnish as you see fit
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 13:41   #4

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

That wood is in bad enough condition from years of neglect, abuse, and water damage that there is no clear finish that will make it look good.

I think it is time to switch to paint or spend a lot of time re-veneering and replacing trim pieces.

Of course it all depends on your standards...
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 14:08   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
3) light sanding
This!

If you don't agree, clean and sand the "round" and other trim pieces, varnish those and paint the large areas white. You'll still need to clean and sand before you paint.
The important thing is that you'll spend a lot of time in that area, put an effort to make it pleasant and proud of your work, then, no regrets....
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 20:17   #6

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32

Quote:
3) light sanding

Thanks this sounds like what I was looking for. What is the purpose of the paint thinner? I will try this on a small area and see what the results are.

Thanks
Chris
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 21:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
That wood is in bad enough condition from years of neglect, abuse, and water damage that there is no clear finish that will make it look good.

I think it is time to switch to paint or spend a lot of time re-veneering and replacing trim pieces.

Of course it all depends on your standards...
I much prefer the classic "Herreshoff" interior of white with varnished trim. You could remove the locker covers and and trim and strip/varnish them ashore. Then paint the rest white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 12.35.01 AM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	213124  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 22:31   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 37

I've done the "clean up and recoat" on wood before and it worked out okayish, but the wood was in much better shape than that. I know you said you didn't want to strip, but I recently stripped my entire teak/holly sole and refinished it. I used CitriStrip, and was amazed at how easy and well it worked, and it doesn't burn you like the old fashioned Jabsco stripper. With the heavy finish on my sole, I let it sit for 30 minutes and the finish just sloughed off. Then wipe down and a light sand - refinish and the wood looks new. Just something to think about. If you plan on keeping the boat for a long time, you will appreciate that it looks nice, and be proud of it.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 23:38   #9

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Medium-fine steel wool and vacuum to knock the loose stuff and dirt off, fine steel wool and paint thinner to 'finish' the prep, and a couple coats of well-stirred satin polyurethane varnish should make it look pretty good with the least effort.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:22   #10

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Thanks this sounds like what I was looking for. What is the purpose of the paint thinner? I will try this on a small area and see what the results are.

Thanks
Chris

I am thinking the paint thinner (Being a mild solvent) will take some of the old yucky varnish off. I am assuming you have some thin veneers here so a more robust stripping or heavier sanding may not be what you want to do (at least not on your first try). Maybe you just hit the areas that need more work with the wipe down.

And with regards to using steel wool on a boat... I would never do that. It will leave little bits everywhere that will then rust and stain.

Good luck!
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:34   #11

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
I am thinking the paint thinner (Being a mild solvent) will take some of the old yucky varnish off. I am assuming you have some thin veneers here so a more robust stripping or heavier sanding may not be what you want to do (at least not on your first try). Maybe you just hit the areas that need more work with the wipe down.

And with regards to using steel wool on a boat... I would never do that. It will leave little bits everywhere that will then rust and stain.

Good luck!
Hence "medium-fine steel wool and vacuum".

By the way, I never recommend anything I haven't done successfully previously in marine applications. If one is anal and has deep pockets, one can get stainless or brass or even bronze wool (and probably even more exotic ones) but it is just a frivolous expense in this usage.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:41   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
`...And with regards to using steel wool on a boat... I would never do that. It will leave little bits everywhere that will then rust and stain.

Good luck!
Brass/bronze wool is available for the purpose.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homax-Fi...3100/100185012

Keep in mind that 55 years ago plywood was of much better quality and I would not hesitate in sanding these with an orbital sander with 80-120-180 grit as long as the work is done by the sander - by not pressing it down too much.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 07:43   #13

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Agree completely. Synthetic 3M pads are far better, work as well and leave no
rusty bits.

My guess from photos is the veneer is beyond a simple refinish. Paint or new veneer.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 09:52   #14

I think you are in bit of a "cut and try" situation here. If it were I, I think I would take that door off or the drawers out, take them home and try some alternatives. BTW, the purpose of the paint thinner that was suggested was to get rid of any oils or volatiles that may have been adsorbed into the wood over 55 years. I would use Scotch Brite pads as an abrasive and sand by hand only (a power sander will go right through the veneer - ask me how I know that). Then sanding sealer or shellac then coats of varnish.
Please let us know how that works.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 13:23   #15

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

I have seen a few older boats where the owners painted the interior woodwork a light color. it will brighten up the interior and give it an updated look. I would consider the Benjamin Moore product Advance. Its an oil paint that cleans up with water. Gives a durable finish, that should stick to your old surface after cleaning off all dirt and a light sanding.
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote