Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 09:14   #46

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Need Puppy-Proof Lifeline Netting (Cheap)

I added netting to my boat for our 2-1/2 and 4-1/2 year old boys, who are just fine with it. I bought it from Gauroc, at least I think that' the spelling. It's a black netting that's used for baseball batting cages, backstops, etc. UV resistant, 1" squares and is pretty easy to work with. 2 years in it's still looking and working just as well as when I put it on.
It comes basically in fixed widths, then you designate the length, in my case I had to split it lengthwise to get the proper width, so if you need 30', you order 15 and split it lengthwise. It worked so well I'm going to remove it from my old boat and put it on the life lines of the new boat. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 09:15   #47

Oh, and the black actually looks good, it doesn't show dirt and staining like the white netting does. You want to buy it direct online since the boat stores just double the price.
Old 30-09-2013, 10:15   #48

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Yes, I bought my netting from Gourock too. I haven't installed yet, so some questions.

I thought to hang up the bulk net on the top lifeline and to the bottom support line ( no hooks method using dyneema) to make it easier to split the bottom and trim ends. Good idea?

Since these are square nets ( not the diamond) the hanging is pretty straight forward? I can stretch tight to fit, without much fuss yes?

I'm using Dacron to attach. Since the netting is square not diamond did you have issues making a straight edge?

Are you able to post a picture. It is actually kinda hard to find an installation picture of square netting that does not have a border trim sewn into it. I did find the picture below to help me with ideas for working the bowsprit.

I will post installation pics on a different thread that is already running about netting. Should be done this month.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	68045  
Old 30-09-2013, 10:32   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i havenbt netting but i train my cat with a leash, and he does fine..mebbe a puppy could possibly be trained in similar fashion to not try to go off boat..if a cat can do it surely a puppy might be able to do this.
cat also walks on leash and comes to momma on command and goes to bed and fetches and catches.
cat also kills unwanted visitors who invade his territory--hasnt gotten a human but he is working on that lil problem....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 12:22   #50

Cats are far more superior in agility, balance, and savvy to get themselves out of a jam plus cats would just jump over the netting.
Old 30-09-2013, 13:03   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bubba wont--he has short lined himself so many times he wont jump in certain areas, like close to side of boat. he has fallen in a couple of times..didnt like his culo wet.....he is good about his leash and uses to see where he went to find way back to companionway.. helps save his life a few times. even a sure footed cat can die in seas--i had one lost that way, in sd bay from a mooring..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 14:11   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gholmes View Post
A related question regarding the best colour for lifeline netting.

White is the most common colour at most suppliers. I have been advised by someone to use black rather than white, on the basis that the black netting is more "transparent" and "invisible" than white.

I would welcome the views of those who have their own experience and views on this before we make our decision to purchase.
Hi Gholmes, you can check these pictures of black lifeline netting.

The supplier is from Spain. It's a lifeline netting specialized handcrafted (me! ). I'm very proud of it!
As you said, the black netting is more "transparent" and durable:

Cheers
bruno-mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 14:31   #53

Boat: PDQ Antares 44

Thanks to everyone for their comments and photos.

I have ordered black netting from On Deck.
gholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 16:48   #54

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have some large quantities of soccer netting black. Any forum user in the chesapeake/ DC region that would like some free send me a pm.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 18:57   #55

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If any of yall live on the gulf, a great many of the Marine stores carry netting in many sizes, both in black and white, and even green LOL Cheap to. just an idea from a cheap cruiser
Old 01-10-2013, 19:05   #56

Boat: PETERSON 44
But really I have this netting and it is heavier then most netting used on life lines . I think I have 3 lengths . 2 at 20 yards by 10 feet. 1 at 40 yards by 12 feet. Small enough so a lacrosse ball won't pass through it. Usually is exposed to uv 24/7. 4 months old. No whistling aloud. If you whistle the price goes up.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39   #57

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I have lifeline netting in the bag that came with the boat. Anyone that wants it drop me a line...
Old 08-10-2013, 10:15   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Yes, I bought my netting from Gourock too. I haven't installed yet, so some questions.

I thought to hang up the bulk net on the top lifeline and to the bottom support line ( no hooks method using dyneema) to make it easier to split the bottom and trim ends. Good idea?

Since these are square nets ( not the diamond) the hanging is pretty straight forward? I can stretch tight to fit, without much fuss yes?

I'm using Dacron to attach. Since the netting is square not diamond did you have issues making a straight edge?

Are you able to post a picture. It is actually kinda hard to find an installation picture of square netting that does not have a border trim sewn into it. I did find the picture below to help me with ideas for working the bowsprit.

I will post installation pics on a different thread that is already running about netting. Should be done this month.

Thanks for any input.
Srry I did not get back to you sooner on the netting questions, I had to set up and transport our new/old boat from Maine to Narragansett Bay recently and was out of the loop awhile.
The square netting is easy to work with, I just disconnected my lifelines and ran them through the loops of the upper set of squares (doubled over for one row) then reconnected them. The lower edge is held in the same manner you are thinking of, just make sure the line you use to secure the lower edge is UV resistant.
On my C&C the lower edge was easy to secure with line because it has an aluminum toe rail the length of the deck which the line can be looped through, the new boat has the same type of toe rail.
If your boat does not have this type of toe rail I'd suggest adding padeyes to the deck at the midway point between the stanchions to run the line through, this would at least secure the lower edge enough to keep most animals inside the rails. If my 2-1/2 year old boy can't get through it it's pretty effective, he's all boy and pretty darn good at escaping anything.
The netting does have some give to it so it can be stretched a little, but not much since it's meant to contain baseballs and other objects flying at high velocities.
IT was no problem cutting it, the netting comes in a standard width that is just about exactly double the width needed for standard stachion heights so cutting it in half length wise provided the proper width needed for the stanchion height. I used a commercial quality set of scissors I bought for cutting fiberglass mat, they are larger, heavier duty and cut through it quite easily. Once laid out on a floor or across a large dining room table it's easy to follow the netting squares to get a good cut, just make sure to lay it out straight on as large a surface as you can to avoid getting off line and ruining a whole section by going off line.
I do not have any pictures of the netting close up right now but will get some the next time I get to the boat, I'll be getting that one hauled soon for winter storage (it's up for sale with netting already installed) but the other boat will stay in until the end of the season.
One thing to think about, on both boats I sometimes use a snap on block and sheet lead to the toe rail to get the foot of the headsail outboard further to get better sail trim on beam reaches, it works really well as a solution for boats with their genoa tracks inboard on the side decks. In this case you need to space the bottom edge out in these areas to allow for this, I also use this when flying a spinaker, whether an asym or standard spinaker.
If you have any questions fire away!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:32   #59

Just an adder, my last pooch, Luke, who I dearly miss, was an excellent boat dog, he never once went over, even in rough conditions, unless he chose to. He was border collie/golden retriever mix, about 80lbs and quite agile, no fat and all spring.
I never had netting on the boat when he was alive, he was smart enough and trained well enough to lean against the lifelines when the boat took a hit in a puff, he didn't necessarily like the water wetting his feet on the side deck but would brace himself until he could get better footing and hop to the high side. On the other hand he could jump right over the lifelines into the water when he wanted to, which he did more than once but always when at anchor.
No matter how well the netting works you will have to train your pooch accordingly, if you think heaving in a human who's fallen overboard is difficult, just try it with a dog, they don't have arms and legs to assist with. I could grab the lift handle on his doggie lifejacket with a stout boat pole and heave him up but it takes a lot of upper body strength to do it, I guess all those years with no windlass finally paid off, and that's while anchored, I wouldn't want to try it in rough weather.
Your dog should be trained and comfortable on the boat before letting him on deck while at sea, otherwise confine your pooch to the cockpit if you don't feel comfortable.
Pooches make wonderful boat pals if they have the right temperament and training, like people, some are better suited to boats than others, try to think of the pooches perspective when bringing them aboard. Training and trust will go a long way to ensuring a good outcome for both you and your pooch.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:34   #60

I just installed the starboard side very easy to work with, though I don't particularly like the way I ended the lacing on the bow sprit. I used amsteel/dynema for the bottom line that anchors the netting. Didn't realize my rigging threads through the lifelines so made cut out which the square netting seems to do well with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	964
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	68365