Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 20:39   #16

Re: Need Some Compressor Advice from the Full-of-Hot-Air Blowhards ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Oops! Got over zealous, Thought we were talking diving compressors.
In my perfect world, it actually would be a dive compressor that could fill a tank, and also have high cfm to drive a tool or two.

I actually found the ideal dive compressor, diesel, 10.3 CFM erc...
The downside is that it was relatively huge, and 15 grand.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 00:31   #17

Boat: Van de stadt Vita. 30ft

Hi cruisers, I'm a boilermaker with 15 years experience and a steel yacht.I would like to put my 5 cents worth in.
I have a 8.5 cfm compressor with a 20 Gal tank and wouldnt try to run a needle scaler with any thing less. 2.5 hp, one of the biggest that will run on 10 amp power. Electric grinders for me, air grinders bog down under load. I have a 1000 watt 5" gringer to use on shore power and a 500 watt 5" grinder that I keep on board because it will run off the 1kva generator without tripping the power. I keep a small 150 amp inverter welder on board to use with shore power. I take all my "jobbing" away from the boat. It's so hard to clean up all the grinding dust and the little rust spots are almost impossible to stop. While away the 5" grinder with a flat wire wheel will substitute for the compressor and needle scaler. The tool I bought for the yacht after the compressor and needle scaler was a wet and dry vacuum cleaner from the hardware store for cleaning up.
PaulyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 02:57   #18

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I do all my own steel yacht maintenance , use a range of air tools including a needle gun and small hand held grit blaster. Would not consider less than about 15 cu ft free air delivered compressor, and even then have an extra air reciever teed into the compressor line to give more capacity.
Regards,Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 06:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
I do all my own steel yacht maintenance , use a range of air tools including a needle gun and small hand held grit blaster. Would not consider less than about 15 cu ft free air delivered compressor, and even then have an extra air reciever teed into the compressor line to give more capacity.
Regards,Richard.
ah, yer killin me man. I've not even seen much more than 10 on LARGE home/shop compressors. There's just gotta be a more mobile solution...
Old 16-12-2011, 06:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldJ View Post
One possible solution for a compressor might be a commercial vehicle compressor (Highway truck). Bendix Tu-Flo 550 or 750 come to mind and there are larger ones also. I've seen these set up on tow trucks and tire trucks to run off the engine via an electric clutch arrangement.
Hey, thanks for this! those look pretty good.
Old 16-12-2011, 09:29   #21

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I have a 12KW gen set so I plan to go electric everything. Including scuba compressor
After I splash her, I'll carry a small lincon wire feed welder and the other basic metal working tools. I'll leave the mig, the buzz box and CNC in the garage. I really plan to NOT work as much as possible once the keel is wet. (pipe dream , I know)
Now let me explain that I am a dumbass.
I put a wooden deck and wheel house on a steel boat, so i will carry another set of tools to maintain the the wooden parts too. Tim "the tool man" Taylor would be proud of my tool locker.....LOL
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 14:01   #22

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Xymotic,
Our compressor kind of evolved. It started off as an electric 6.5 FAD unit. Then I wanted to take it out to the mooring, so I ditched the electric motor and replaced it with a used Honda petrol motor.
Soon found that 6.5 FAD was not enough air to blast well with 1/4 inch nozzle so took the compressor head off and fitted a larger unit.
Still not satisfied, I teed an old 100 lb gas cylinder (well purged and drained) into the line for some extra capacity. Ten years later, it is all working well.
Lift it on and off the boat using the boom and topping lift as a derrick.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor