Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2020, 20:50   #16

Re: Need some help Good people!!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2VY41W...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Kpaykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 20:51   #17

Will this shackle be strong enough?
Kpaykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:01   #18

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Hi. You've had me looking at the possibilities with my own setup now. The shackle you found on amazon has a working load limit (WLL) of 625 KG which is probably OK but more would most definitely be better. The problem is if the shackle gets fouled across the anchor shank so that it gets a sideways pull on it - which can happen - the strength will be halved.
By the way you must put the shackle bow through the anchor & the shackle pin through the chain - or swivel in your case at present. The next size up (3/8) would be stronger but probably won't fit your roller as it is about 54mm wide (120% of dimension A, as far as I can tell.)

For my own case, I found these Crosby shackles https://www.tecni.uk/Crosby-G-209A-G...LL-221.017.450 I'm sure you will find them in USA. Galvanised, but much stronger with a certified WLL of 2000 KG . The problem is the protruding pin. The shackle itself is only 45.2mm wide so will fit your roller.

I'm going to get one for my boat - in my case the next size up will fit. I will put araldite epoxy glue on the pin & on the thread,put the shackle on the anchor, screw it up real tight, use a nail punch & heavy hammer to dent the thread where it protrudes from the shackle in 3 or 4 places, then hacksaw off off the protruding flat part of the pin & put araldite epoxy all over that to protect the (not galvanised) cut end from rust.

Then maybe I will not have any lingering doubts about that shackle..?? If I should ever need to get it off I understand that warming up the epoxy with a gas flame will soften it enough, but probably I would end up having to hacksaw the shackle off. No problem.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:02   #19

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

You must use the G209A steel - its stronger than the alternatives, apparently.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote