Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2023, 15:40   #1

New dodger rear support coming loose

I had my new dodger installed last week and on our first sail, which only lasted 3 hours the screw dropped out of one of the rear supports. I pushed it back in so as not to lose it I contacted the individual who built the dodger and he said that he is not sure how to fix this issue.

There are four ½” screws supporting the frame on either side of the companionway.

There is a handrail at the back of the dodger to assist with entry and exit of the cabin. My sense is that the four screws will not support a load.

My question is – if the four screws were correctly installed, should they be secure enough for normal wear and tear, or has the installer used the incorrect hardware for the job?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger support 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	281577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger support 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	281578  

Rykmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 17:28   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: New dodger rear support coming loose

Usually those mounts are on a horizontal surface like the cabin top or cockpit coaming, vertical they are exposed to the load along the weakest direction. Fill the holes with epoxy and maybe longer screws. I have never seen a dodger built like that and many aspects raise questions and are confusing.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 17:43   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One solution is teak pads to use with a flat base socked to take the tube. The pad is made so that it wedges, so the tube can go straight into the socked, where generally, it is secured with an allen head set screw.

It there is access from underneath, it is a good place for a bit of backing plate, as the aft handrail on the dodger can take a lot of stress in a vigorous seaway.

Assuming the dodger maker is a decent person, just maybe a bit unknowledgeable, maybe you can help him help you with some ideas from here.

Ann
Old 29-09-2023, 17:51   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

they probably needed to use a nut and thru bolt there. but now it is stripped and damaged.
Old 29-09-2023, 17:53   #5

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

40+ year canvas pro here.

I'll echo Ted's comments.

That is incorrect hardware, apparently mounted in the wrong place. The frames and general design are "unique".

If available, you'll might use the 4 hold version of those mounts. If this is not available, it's probably best to mount a 3/8 or 1/2" aluminum plate that is significantly larger than the fittings- 6x6" or bigger. Bolt these existing mounts to that plate.

I might try to negotiate on price. I would not allow this contractor near my boat again.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger