Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2023, 07:12   #1

Boat: Oyster 39
New glass needed? And a few other bloater repair qs

Hello everyone,
I've been in a long expensive ordeal with performing a blister repair on my Oyster 39. Pro tip, do not have twins whilst your boat is on the hard...it gets expensive fast!��

Im finally able to get a few days here and there to get back to my boat project after nearly 2 years in the boat yard. I had nearly finished all my blister repairs. However theres a few dozen delaminated blisters left that i either didn't see before or have since become apparent. Thus first question is, do i need to get every one of them.

Next question, i used a gel peeler, and according to the main fibreglass expert here i did amazingly well not to destroy my boat as hes seen nothing but horror stories from people using those. On one side however i did have a small offset on the "blades" and thus I have " stripes" where about a dimes width and depth (1/16th )is slightly deeper than the adjacent side. My question is can i go ahead and just go over that with the fairing compound,(system 3 quikfair) or do I need to reglass the whole side to restore the ever so slight missing structure.

3rd question, following some advice from folks i can't remember (see twins ) i did mix polyester resin with minute glass bubbles and use that tooth paste like consistency to fill ground out blisters that were under an 1/8th " depth and maximum 3" in diameter. Is this ok, or do i actually need to restore that glass using the structural material. I really hope not because that will mean grinding out hundreds of already treated blisters.

Last question, the peeler did occasionally leave some gelcoat patches in place but that are stripped back to pure white. Can i safely go over these with the systems 3 epoxy quikfair?

Thanks everyone for guidance ahead of time!
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, repair