Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 15:09   #1

new grill

I got tired of buying regulators and the ugly look of the old discolored magma grill . I Am going to try this Charbroil grill. It is all aluminum with stainless Rack. hold it down to this starboard table I made and use the old swivel mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438294231042.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	106371  
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 16:19   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: new grill

I like it!

I've been toying with a similar idea, a triangular starboard table mounted in the corner of the railings.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 16:41   #3

Those. dam magma regulators cost $35 a piece and it seems like I've been buying one every two to three months. And regardless of the cleaner they sell you I could not get the stylist to look like it should. I got a really good deal on ebay on this Grilll
So we'll see how it goes
Old 31-07-2015, 04:34   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Those dam magma regulators cost $35 a piece and it seems like I've been buying one every two to three months.
I foolishly lost the little center "dome" above the burner over the side. You can't even buy one. You have to buy the whole set, ring and dome, for over $40.

I don't see the grill as being worth the investment, especially since I don't need the biggest part I'd be buying.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 05:40   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've got three Magma's I've accumulated over the years, while I won't tell you how great they are as I am not real impressed with them myself, I've never had to buy a regulator for them, what's happening to the regulators?

I want a grill that will stay lit, if it will stay lit, I believe I could put up with a lot of other problems
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 05:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a the lot View Post
I'v. ,e got three Magma's I've accumulated over the years, while I won't tell you how great they are as I am not real impressed with them myself, I've never had to buy a regulator for them, what's happening to the regulators?

I want a grill that will stay lit, if it will stay lit, I believe I could put up with a lot of other problems
in my experience I have had 2 separate problems multiple times with the regulators. the most common is it leaks while shut off Draining the propane bottle the second but less common problem was some restrictions to the flow to where the flame was almost non-existent..
Old 31-07-2015, 08:08   #7

That's the same Infrared Charbroil grill that I posted about, maybe 6-9 months ago. It cooks much faster, juicier (especially chicken breasts) and can get up to 700* to really sear a steak if you want. It uses about 25% less propane to cook the same amount of food as a similar sized (200 sq in) grill.

I think the build quality is excellent, it should hold up great, especially for only $110. Even if you do need parts, Charbroil parts are readily avail. and pretty cheap.

Congrats, I think you're going to really love that grill!

Although I have a very nice, large stainless grill at home, i think I'm going to sell it on Craigslist and get the 3 burner backyard Charbroil Infrared model, they're only $250 from most places. The difference in flavor, juiciness and tenderness is worth it over a conventional flame grill. It has more of a charcoal cooked flavor. Not as much as a real charcoal grill, but somewhere in between propane and charcoal. The small amount of drippings that do come off the meat sizzle on the stainless grill and flavor the meat more.

My latest problem now is that burgers come off the grill so juicy, they completely soak the bottom bun and eating it becomes a very messy affair, but it far surpasses any 5 Guys or In n Out burger!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:17   #8

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've got three Magma's I've accumulated over the years, while I won't tell you how great they are as I am not real impressed with them myself, I've never had to buy a regulator for them, what's happening to the regulators?

Sometimes that damn regulator goes into the ocean... 'Twasn't me, but it happened on my boat.

The magma is waaaaay more $$$ than it really should be. It's OK, but no better than a cheapie camp grill IMHO.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:33   #9

I don't blame you, the price of grills is ridiculous. They all get very grungy no matter what the initial cost. A throw away price is great.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill