Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2024, 08:32   #1

Boat: Ranger 37
New Headliner Questions

Hey all,

I'm planning on putting new headliner in the Wotan. Here's how it looks right now:

This photo is old and we've done a lot of work since, but the ceiling still looks like this. I unfortunately don't have a picture of the headliner before removal but it was these white padded faux leather panels (moldy!!).

We were planning on some sort of bead board or particle board for the center, as it is nearly flat, and I would be able to install our light fixtures onto it. The curved areas where the teak handrails are, extending past the windows to the hull is where I'm stuck.

Some low pile white carpet may look nice, but it's surprisingly expensive! I was thinking; I do have an old head sail kicking around that got weathered and replaced. It's mostly just the section that was on the outside of the furl that is damaged. If I cleaned that up and cut it to fit that may look nice? It's also free and just taking up space in my garage.

There are also teak boards that span the headliner, so whatever I do I would like to maintain the curved shape of those so I can reinstall them.

So here's my questions:
  • What solutions have you all come up with that work for you?
  • Will the bead board/particle board work? (specifically worried about the contour for the teak boards)
  • Should we add a layer of insulation before?

The Head, Saloon, and V-berth are the main areas of concern. Any other tips and tricks for the upcoming project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Wotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 09:25   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: New Headliner Questions

Definitely don't use any type of particle board! Moisture (from condensation, leaks, high humidity will cause it to swell and fall apart. Shag carpet will probably get moldy.

If you use wood is should be either solid wood or decent quality plywood, and painted (or sealed) on the backside.

Consider:

Nothing - remove all the furring strips, sand/grind the underside of the deck smooth-ish (filling with fairing compound if you want it smoother) and paint. Make some trim to cover the fasteners under through-bolted deck hardware, above the deck support/grab pole and around windows and hatch. Advantages: cheap, fairly quick, low maintenance, durable, you'll always be able to quickly find and easily fix deck leaks. Very low mold potential as there is no hidden space. Disadvantages: Not as pretty as a nicely made headliner, doesn't hide wiring for overhead lights, doesn't add any insulation. If the deck isn't cored you may have condensation form (note: even with a headliner, condensation will still likely form on the underside of the fiberglass - you just won't see it!)

Paneled (plywood, beadboard panels) - best held in place by removable wood strips so they can be occasionally taken down to clean behind, rebed deck hardware, etc.). Need to be sealed on the backside.

Fiberglass panels - (shower liner panels are fairly inexpensive but slightly less rigid than would be ideal). Pretty much the same installation process and work as wood paneling but add itchy and subtract the need to paint/seal.

Upholstery vinyl-wrapped plywood (sounds like what you had) - thin foam layer between for a "soft" look and a bit of insulation. Installed the same as plywood panels.

Solid wood strips or beadboard - screwed to furring strips so planks are removable?

Vinyl headliner stapled to furring strips, staple rows covered with wood strip - Probably the fastest to install, not easily removable. If you go this route, use stainless or bronze staples.

If you insulate you need to make sure no moist air can get between it and the fiberglass or mold will grow. Closed cell foam continuously-glued to the fiberglass seems to be the best solution (but expensive!). Deck leaks behind the foam aren't apparent for a long time.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 10:26   #3

Currently working on the same things on my Cal 39.... It started life as vinyl upholstered plywood in the V berth with some direct glued vinyl in curved areas, and stretched vinyl cloth held by plastic track in the saloon. The vinyl got old and discolored and the plywood crumbled in the V berth, and the plastic track is giving up the ghost in the saloon after 40 years.

What I have found for the V berth is a closed cell foam sheet called Celtec to replace the plywood. Available in 1/16”, 1/8”, 3/16,etc. Slightly off white with a matt finish. The 1/8” can be cut with a sharp razor knife in several passes.

In the saloon I’m not sure what I will do.....either the Celtec sheet, or go back with stretched vinyl on new track. Plastic headliner track to hold stretched vinyl is available from TACO marine or “trivantage.com” .

Hope this helps....good luck and let us know how it works out.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 06:00   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Maybe fix some "bendy ply" in place and cover it with "headliner"

Autex Cabliner & Marine Headliner - Crystal (per metre)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 07:17   #5

Boat: Ranger 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
Definitely don't use any type of particle board! Moisture (from condensation, leaks, high humidity will cause it to swell and fall apart.
Thanks for the tip about the particle board. We won't go that route. I'm thinking beadboard is the right option.

Thanks!
Wotan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headliner