Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2014, 17:44   #16

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: New ideas on old silicone?

Eternabond is a wonder for RVs. I've sealed many a leak in my aging motorhome with it. It can tend to be messy. I think I'd rather use some high quality butyl than eternabond on my boat.

But like everything else, it won't stick to silicone. From the webpage referenced:

DoubleStick is also ideal for marine applications and forms permanent seals to all types of materials (except silicone surfaces).
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 18:53   #17
Marine Service Provider

Main,

Have a look at DOW DOW CORNING® DS-1000 AQUEOUS SILICONE CLEANER

Description
An aqueous surfactant solution used to clean uncured silicone residues from equipment and manufacturing units. Dow Corning DS-1000 Aqueous Silicone Cleaner has been specifically developed to solubilize and remove silicone oils, leaving a silicone free surface.

DOW CORNING® DS-2025 SILICONE CLEANING SOLVENT

Description
Liquid used to remove cured silicone from surfaces, equipment, and manufacturing units. Dow Corning DS-2025 Silicone Cleaning Solvent has been specifically developed to digest silicone deposits through depolymerisation and dissolution, leaving a silicone free surface.

I have used both successfully DS-2025 first, then DS-1000 second. it's a one wipe job, do not sand prior to. it takes lots of industrial paper wipes to do a one wipe job.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I have thousands of dollars invested in trying to come up with one, two different labs working on gelcoat safe variations, but as of yet no success I am willing to put my name on.

I have tested every one that "claims" to do it but none pass the fish-eye paint test or they are simply not gelcoat safe..... I am still trying but beating cured silicone, with a chemical that is also safe for gelcoat, is like surviving a nuclear holocaust it seems...
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 20:03   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

FlyingCloud1937:

That's encouraging.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 21:48   #19

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Eternabond is a wonder for RVs. I've sealed many a leak in my aging motorhome with it. It can tend to be messy. I think I'd rather use some high quality butyl than eternabond on my boat.

But like everything else, it won't stick to silicone. From the webpage referenced:

DoubleStick is also ideal for marine applications and forms permanent seals to all types of materials (except silicone surfaces).
If it comes on a roll like tape, how is this any more messy than butyl that comes the same way? I haven't used either and I would think it would be much neater than something from a caulking gun or tube.
Old 18-03-2014, 00:13   #20

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwireman View Post
If it comes on a roll like tape, how is this any more messy than butyl that comes the same way? I haven't used either and I would think it would be much neater than something from a caulking gun or tube.
It's stickier. So where you could easily pull out ooze (squeeze out) from butyl, the eternabond pretty much wants to stick to everything. And it's black, and leaves marks. Gets all over your hands. Even the one sided stuff is a bit messy.

Sounds like I'm describing 5200, huh?.... Goo in tubes is messy too.

On a motorhome roof? who cares. Don't get me wrong, it's good stuff. I just personally would not use it on the boat.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 02:33   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 04:19   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I just can't help it... every time I see the title for this thread, I get a mental picture of an aging topless dancer with hopes of renewing the old "bounce".

I know that this is merciless thread drift, and wish I could offer some useful advice, but I think that Mainesail has it pegged: Ain't no such thing.

Pity, that!

Jim
I always crack up when Jim falls prey to his funny gene... We need more of this Jim!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 04:47   #23
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Jim wears funny jeans? I had a neighbor like that once...
Old 18-03-2014, 04:55   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Jim wears funny jeans? I had a neighbor like that once...
Yes... Because Ann wears the pants...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 05:27   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwireman View Post
Your killing me here!!! At least the abs are getting a great workout.
Here is a product recommendation. The salesmen swear it is the best, no better product on the market currently, and since I am cleaning off silicone from a painted fiberglass surface, I have been assured it will adhere tenaciously. Imagine that coming from a salesman but I figure at the low price and what seems to be a very clean and easy application, a test window or two will not break the bank and maybe everything I was told could be mostly true.
Anyone tried it yet?
EternaBond DoubleStick Seam Tape, 60 mil., 1 in. x 50 ft. Roll

There is probably a 1 1/2 inch overlap of old whatever style plastic window to hull before the outer rim was beaded with silicone. The temporary emergency measure silicone I applied is all on the old window, small bead applied around the edge to fiberglass joint, or around the mounting screw cracks. All on the outside of the windows. There is an area around these windows where no silicone has been applied (screwed area) and this is where I was thinking of using this stuff. Nothing big or too difficult to get cleaned up, I hope anyways. I was planing on repainting the topside so I need to clean in any event.
"Sticks or Re-sticks anything to anything (except silicone surfaces)."

Go figure....
Old 07-04-2015, 10:30   #26

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

My salon restoration project has progressed to the point I am removing the polycarbonate windows (Lexan) and soon will reapply them. Took off the first one (held on with a combination of double sided tape and silicone caulk). Once I can get the tape and silicone off (trying to get some DSR-5 and Dow DS-2025), any additional suggestions to prepare the polycarbonate and fiberglass surfaces? I am planning to use 3M VHB tape and not sure what to use around the outside edge yet but will not reuse the 1/4-20 screws that the PO used.
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44   #27
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
New ideas on old silicone?

Besides being clean, I don't think any special prep is needed. Personally I would seal them using butyl nitrate tape. It's cheapest through someplace that sells motorhome/rv supplies. I think I paid around 6$ for a 30 ft roll of 1/8" x 1" gray tape.

For removing old adhesive including 5200 I use a product called Debond. Everyone I've let use it went out and ordered a can.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 19:08   #28

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Quote:
To remove by mechanical means, a multitool with a scraper blade works amazingly well (think hot knife through butter). I've just purchased a speciality silicon scraper blade, having just noticed they exist, but haven't had the chance to use it as yet.
Reefmagnet- I used a flexible scrapper attachment to the multitool and was amazed how great it worked, on silicone and also very good on the old double sided tape..with just a little bit of care, I removed nearly all the old silicone. Next is the DSR-5 cleaner next weekend.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote