Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 09:43   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
New Main Sail

I'm currently getting quotes to have a new mainsail made and will be pulling the trigger as soon as I'm satisfied with the quotes and construction proposals I get. I'd like to get it on board by this summer if possible.
Any opinions on sailmakers and construction techniques?
What has your experience been with the sails you've purchased?
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: New Main Sail

Sailmakers have told me that pretty much whatever loft you go to, the sail will be fabricated in China. Have you heard the same thing? Bacons in Annapolis has very good prices and a great reputation. I may use them or possibly Sailcare in Pa.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:20   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Just bought a main from Bacon. I'll never shop anywhere else! Get a radial cut main out of the best fabric you can afford.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:36   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
I'm currently getting quotes to have a new mainsail made and will be pulling the trigger as soon as I'm satisfied with the quotes and construction proposals I get. I'd like to get it on board by this summer if possible.
Any opinions on sailmakers and construction techniques?
What has your experience been with the sails you've purchased?
Here are a few sailmakers who are CF posters: Totem, kestrel, and something or other calvert, can't dredge it up, sorry. A lot depends on both the boat and the use, and when we order sails, we usually have a long chat with the sailmaker about the fabrics before we buy. It takes time to learn, and getting multiple opinions is useful. However, beware of good sailsmen, you really don't want a big name loft to talk you into something you don't want. It is your needs that are more important, not what is convenient for them to sell you. And of course, the bottomlessness of your purse.

ann
Old 03-02-2016, 12:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I am pretty sure the sails I just bought from Mack Sails were made there, but as I understand it there are many sails that are made in China.

Talk to several, get several quotes, I believe I got a better price by buying after Summer, but before Christmas as I believe that is the slow season
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:51   #6

Boat: X-Yacht Xc45

Sri Lanka is also popular for making sails from named lofts
Wavehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 16:35   #7

I have a pretty good idea of what I want in the new main based on experience with previous boats. There are more material choices these days so I'll have to do a little research there.
I also want a sail I can,repair myself when far from civilization so I won't be going too exotic.
So far the quotes I've gotten from a couple major corporations reflect their price points.
I'm always open to lofts recomended by those who've used there services I also don't mind paying a little more if I get a good product and service.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-02-2016, 20:20   #8

Boat: Skookum 47

Carol Hasse in Pt. Townsend. Sails made in USA, she's expensive, but her sails are made amazingly well, and her communication and personal relationship skills are fantastic… which can be worth a few extra bucks in the end.

Mack sails are made in the USA as well. My old Pearson had a set of Lee sails as well. They were cut well.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Bay Dude View Post
Carol Hasse in Pt. Townsend. Sails made in USA, she's expensive, but her sails are made amazingly well, and her communication and personal relationship skills are fantastic… which can be worth a few extra bucks in the end.

Mack sails are made in the USA as well. My old Pearson had a set of Lee sails as well. They were cut well.
I did contact Pt Townsend but they are currently looking at over 12 months to deliver a new sail. They sure must be popular.
Old 16-03-2016, 07:03   #10

Just one more question for now.
Has anyone here had any experience with Loong Sails?
I've gotten some widely varying quotes for pretty much the same sail, which I specified all the details for, including the cloth type. As low as $3200.00 as high as $14,500.00, I'm sure you can guess who had the highest price, but have no past experience with Loong sails.
Any feedback on them?
A couple of the other sail lofts mentioned here have come back with very reasonable prices for the new main, so thanks for the suggestions.

Tags
sail