Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 22:57   #1

New Member... Boatyard Quote Question

First, I hate to join a forum with this sort of question, but I'm in a bit of a jam.

I'm looking at an older ludders 33 that has some potential, but I know the boat has been sorely neglected for the last decade. I have plans to do what I can in the restoration while the boat is in the water, but I think I'll have to contract out for the work on the hard - and there lies the problem. I need a rough idea of what the work might cost before discussing a price with the seller. Getting a full quote is getting difficult at this point for reasons I won't go into, so here is where I need help:

I know the boat needs hull and bottom paint (hard growth is certain). I'm going to assume it requires replaced or rebedded through hulls. I hope the shaft and rudder post is ok, but we'll see... The cutlass bearing will certainly need work, as will the stuffing box. The nonskid needs to be repainted, but I'm hoping that is doable while the boat is wet (am I way off base here?).

All of that said, I need a rough idea of a cost range. Nothing near exact, but is this work in the 5-10k range? Or more likely the 20+ range? Etc. I'm trying to evaluate whether this restoration is a nonstarter given my inability to spend time with the boat out of the water.

Again, I apologize to introduce myself with such a question, but after speaking with a surveyor I get the impression this boat does have promise - I'm just trying to gauge whether I'm the fellow that should be taking it on given my short term restrictions.

Thanks in advance.
Pmhallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 23:28   #2

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: New member... Boatyard quote question

Where the work will be done makes a huge difference.
Old 05-06-2012, 23:55   #3

i just painted the non-skid in the slip. All I had to do was clean the surface, mask the edges with tape, and paint on a coat of Interlux Interdeck. Perfectly straightforward.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pmhallum.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47   #5

Thanks for the responses, and I'm happy to hear that the non-skid can be done in slip. Naturally, I've done brightwork in my slip on my old boat, but I was definitely a little concerned that the CG might stop by and ask what the heck I was doing if I had paint cans sitting on the deck.

Obviously the contractor and location will matter a lot, I'm just trying to judge whether the the cost will be so high it's not worth my flying to the boat and getting it hauled out for a true estimate. Also, a diver just notified me he did find blistering on the hull... not a surprise, but I'm guessing the blistering (depending on the depth of the blisters) could essentially make the boat unsalvageable. Surprisingly, though, he indicated the zincs had been kept up and that the prop and shaft seemed OK (as well as the bearing).

Again, I'm certainly not expecting a quote that I'll be talking to a boatyard about. I'm just trying to get a feel for if this boatyard work will likely be within $5,000-$10,000 (range arbitrarily chosen) or if I'm going to spend a few grand to almost certainly be quoted a significantly higher price.

Anyway, supposing people tend to agree that this sort of blind request for a rough idea of cost is impossible - I'll drop it.

Regardless, thanks for the welcomes to the forum. I'll be around...
Old 06-06-2012, 08:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

If you have to pay a yard to do the required work the finished price of an older boat will be much more than its market value. Often even if you do the work yourself the amount spent will equal or exceed market value.

If this is the case you are better to purchase a boat that doesn't require work and go sailing.

99% of blistering is cosmetic only.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:15   #7

I'm guessing closer to the $20k. Painting the boat and a full bottom job without blisters is likely to be what.... 15k? One thing to keep in mind about farming out the work.... some yards insist their people do the work, some let others in for a percentage, some have only a specific list of others who can do the work. If the boat sat neglected... what about other things... rigging etc? You just need the non skid not the rest of the deck done? Sanding etc in a marina may or may not be welcome... depends on where you are, but much sanding isnt popular most places....
You can go to or call any yard and ask how much to paint a 33 foot sailboat and do a bottom job. They will give you a round number, that will be pretty close. You need to tell them if you want to strip the bottom to the gel, or just rough up and repaint.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:36   #8

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

No yard will be able to give you a quote before the boat is hauled. All they can accurately tell you is their labor rate per trade. Sometimes this rate varies with the employee. After seeing the job they should be able to give you a rough guess on how many man hours the job will take. With an older boat, particularly a wooden one you never know what you will uncover. If you are not prepared to do most of the work yourself I would not even consider a restoration process. Unless you just won the lottery.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54   #9

Actually the yards up here have a posted rate of dollars per foot for a "rough up and repaint" bottom job.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:03   #10

Yeah - I'm in the Seattle area too, so the yards local to the boat surprise me with their absolute unwillingness to give any sort of quote. I think we may be lucky up here in the NW as the yards have a lot of competition...
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: New Member... Boatyard Quote Question

I had the following work done in NE Florida in March of 2011 on my 41' ketch. Haul out, pressure wash, bottom paint, cosmetic fiberglass repair of rudder shoe faring, zinc, new shaft, cutlass bearing, new dripless shaft seal, replace carrier bearing, buff and wax freeboard for a total cost of $5,200. I agree that the location where the work will be done varies greatly. I've known people who buy their paint and take it with them to the Abacos where they have their boat hauled and painted at Man-o-War Cay. They rent a cottage for a couple days, enjoy their cruise and save money too.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:57   #12

a quick Google of bottom painting in Florida found these prices, I think most yards have published "basic" prices and hourly rates. Read the fine print and make your own estimate!
boat yard, New River Marina Fort Lauderdale, FL Bottom Paint Price List

Old 06-06-2012, 11:02   #13

FYI: I did, through chance, get a hold of a boatyard that indicated they have taken a terse look at the boat for the deckwork. They've provided me with a rough estimate of the costs which were, unfortunately higher than warrant my perusing the restoration (though not outside the expectation I'd developed with your help and my meager experience with minor refits).

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 06-06-2012, 13:09   #14

Just an FYI for others: I received a written detailed quote for bottom paint/hual etc from a yard in Florida within on hour of asking. $1513

Old 06-06-2012, 13:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Just an FYI for others: I received a written detailed quote for bottom paint/hual etc from a yard in Florida within on hour of asking. $1513
It shouldn't take much work to get you an estimate, as most of them have a fixed price per foot, for bottom work. Then the estimate is cut and paste.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags