Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 06:15   #1

Boat: Downeaster 38
new navigation lights

All:
We're replacing all the nav lights with LEDs as part of a major refit and want to know conventional wisdom on masthead tricolor as opposed to standard red/green on the bow pulpit.
Thanks
Rick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 06:34   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 50
Re: new navigation lights

If you want to use a tri color, you need both. The mast head tri color can only be used under sail. While motoring you have to use the bow mounted red/green nav lights. That being said, if you want to save a few bucks, go LED at the mast head, you will want to save DC power while sailing. While under power your battery power is not an issue. As far as visibility goes, in open waters at night, the mast head tri color will be seen from a greater distance.
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 06:55   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

My nav lights are controlled with a 3-position Double-pole/double throw rocker switch. In the middle position, all lights are off. In one position the masthead tricolor and compass light are illuminated. In the other position, the bow and stern deck-level lights are lit, as well as the steaming light and the compass. By using the double pole switches you can keep the compass lighting separate, but still activated in either throw.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:11   #4

Boat: Carter Concubine 33ft (10m)

I was just about to start a new thread on this but saw yours Rick, perfect timing.

I'm having the mast down next week and want to modernise my entire nav light outfit. I bought a new LED red/green bow light to see how it looks and am very happy with it, I hear the jury is still out on LED lights? My shopping list is as follows:

Mast head tri-colour and anchor light all-in-one
New foredeck light
New Steaming light

Anything I've missed? All the current lights work but they aren't as bright as I would like. It appears that a previous owner installed heavy duty household wiring which works but is a bit bulky and perhaps there is a better way, any links, tips or photos to some good mast wiring jobs?

Thanks Guys
dtlx11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation