Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 17:43   #1

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28 1878
New owner of BCC 28

I recently bought a BCC in Seattle and shipped it out to Flathead Lake in Montana. An unlikely place for her, but it is a big lake. The interior was recently finished in a competent but simple way, primarily with white plywood and I want to upgrade a bit.

(1) The pull-out double berth appears to be built pretty close to plans (a plywood platform that pulls out between two wooden guides), but it binds badly when pushed back in. Any thoughts about this? I'm considering tacking on some sort of non-slip service to the board ends.

(2) The engine compartment is closed with a single very large plywood door hinged on one side. I've seen photos of a panel with a built in trash container and very vague photos of how it is all mounted to the frame-- hinge or...? Two separate pieces or something else?

Any information and/or photos would be helpful.

And thanks much!
Penna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 18:04   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: New owner of BCC 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna View Post
I recently bought a BCC in Seattle and shipped it out to Flathead Lake in Montana. An unlikely place for her, but it is a big lake. The interior was recently finished in a competent but simple way, primarily with white plywood and I want to upgrade a bit.

(1) The pull-out double berth appears to be built pretty close to plans (a plywood platform that pulls out between two wooden guides), but it binds badly when pushed back in. Any thoughts about this? I'm considering tacking on some sort of non-slip service to the board ends.
It's a guess, but the weight of the bunk is probably causing it to sag a little when in the extended position. Which would cause binding. Perhaps add some UHMW Polyethelyne (sp?) material to the sliders?

(2) The engine compartment is closed with a single very large plywood door hinged on one side. I've seen photos of a panel with a built in trash container and very vague photos of how it is all mounted to the frame-- hinge or...? Two separate pieces or something else?
There are some pics of this boat in Ferenc Mate's The World's Best Sailboats though I can't speak to which version of the book has the most, & best pics of her & her interior. I just know that these boats were written up in said book.

Edit: I just realized that I have my Dad's copy of Mate's book. It's the 1986 edition titled The World's Best Sailboats, A Survey. And there are about 6 pages with pics of the BCC in it. None of the trash can or engine compartment though.

As to things on hinges, anymore I'm inclined towards hinges which can have the two halves unsnapped from one another. So that it's quite easy to take a door fully off so as to have more room to work in the compartment behind it.

Any information and/or photos would be helpful.

And thanks much!
Other than that, spend a bit of time thinking through how to setup your shop for maximum efficency prior to tackling finishing off the interior's trim & shiny bits. As even small boat projects can take a while. And of course, buy/make your supplies in bulk. Well, buy just one (maybe 2) thinking chair. The place where things boat get built in your mind, prior to reaching for a tool or a carpenter's pencil.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 18:10   #3

Thanks for the fast reply. Any BCC owners out there who could take a photo or two? And.. are there other forums more specific to this boat? The Sam Morse Site appears to have shut down.
Old 28-10-2016, 18:19   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You might look for websites that have boats that are similar in design, & or that have the same designer. Possibly to include the designer's website itself, if he has one. And you could always try contacting him directly, ditto with regard to other designers of similar vessels.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 18:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A thread like this is begging for photos of the boat, especially on a lake in Montana.

Post some photos!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 18:26   #6

Photos next spring! I just had her shipped from Seattle. Out here, the boats go on the hard around this time of year.
Old 28-10-2016, 18:39   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I understand.
But, if you are working on projects during the winter, a few pics of the interior may stimulate suggestions from CF members and help them answer your questions. I suggest taking LOTS of photos of the interior with wide and detail shots and create a photo album on your CF Profile with some of the best and then you will have an easy way to drop a photo into a discussion on future topics. Plus, people love to see boats.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 21:11   #8

Alas, poor Lyle left us in 2002 at the age of 90.
Old 28-10-2016, 21:42   #9

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

The BCC site is still alive and well at www.samlmorse.com. The owners there will most likely be able to answer any questions and it's searchable.
Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 08:33   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Be sure to check out Waynster productions on YouTube and my videos of his boat on my channel iliohale productions. You can drop Wayne a note on his channel. He is likely one of the best sources of information on the BCC there is.
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:18   #11

Boat: Scout 30

Congratulations on buying one of the coolest boat there is!

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote