Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 12:56   #46

Re: New Rules for Bottom Paint

I did some research today and talked to maryland DNR , MDE and the marine trades assc. There is no law that state you cant clean ablative paints in the water.
It is a regulation not a law and it only applies to boat yards that offer work on the hard (haulout,paint,sanding and such) and need a storm water discharge permit. Marinas that DO NOT offer services on the hard do not need the permit, therefor that regulation does NOT APPLY and you can clean abaltive paints in the water. if a marina is going for the clean marina approval all divers should use the best management practices or BMP for short. I hope this clears up this misconception
diver for hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 00:43   #47

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

In Washington they are using the clean waters act to regulate scrubbing ablative bottom paints.

Hull Cleaning and Boat Washing | Clean Green Boating | Washington State Department of Ecology

RCW 90.48.080
Discharge of polluting matter in waters prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to throw, drain, run, or otherwise discharge into any of the waters of this state, or to cause, permit or suffer to be thrown, run, drained, allowed to seep or otherwise discharged into such waters any organic or inorganic matter that shall cause or tend to cause pollution of such waters according to the determination of the department, as provided for in this chapter.

[1987 c 109 § 126; 1967 c 13 § 8; 1945 c 216 § 14; Rem. Supp. 1945 § 10964n.]
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 19:00   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
In Washington they are using the clean waters act to regulate scrubbing ablative bottom paints.

Hull Cleaning and Boat Washing | Clean Green Boating | Washington State Department of Ecology

RCW 90.48.080
Discharge of polluting matter in waters prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to throw, drain, run, or otherwise discharge into any of the waters of this state, or to cause, permit or suffer to be thrown, run, drained, allowed to seep or otherwise discharged into such waters any organic or inorganic matter that shall cause or tend to cause pollution of such waters according to the determination of the department, as provided for in this chapter.

[1987 c 109 § 126; 1967 c 13 § 8; 1945 c 216 § 14; Rem. Supp. 1945 § 10964n.]

I was informed by the marine trades that the epa is pushing for those same laws on most of the eastern seaboard but were not there yet, If it is such a problem they should just ban copper paint and be done with it. but that is solution would be to logical
Old 25-03-2011, 20:08   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver for hire View Post
I did some research today and talked to maryland DNR , MDE and the marine trades assc. There is no law that state you cant clean ablative paints in the water.
It is a regulation not a law and it only applies to boat yards that offer work on the hard (haulout,paint,sanding and such) and need a storm water discharge permit. Marinas that DO NOT offer services on the hard do not need the permit, therefor that regulation does NOT APPLY and you can clean abaltive paints in the water. if a marina is going for the clean marina approval all divers should use the best management practices or BMP for short. I hope this clears up this misconception
Though it is not law i recommend ALL divers follow the best management practices at all times along with educating customers on their options on what paints to use (ie hard paints or non toxic if they plan on having a diver clean the hull ect..)
Old 27-03-2011, 00:50   #50
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Though it is not law i recommend ALL divers follow the best management practices at all times along with educating customers on their options on what paints to use (ie hard paints or non toxic if they plan on having a diver clean the hull ect..)
This.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 04:12   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
This.

? what does this mean ?
Old 27-03-2011, 05:21   #52

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant

I'm cleaning my boat in the water anywhere I like. When the whackos send the SEALS then I'll be more secretive.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 08:10   #53
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
This.
Quote:
? what does this mean ?
I can't believe I have to explain it but it means, "What he said" or "I concur" or
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint