Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 16:36   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: New Sailboat - First Time Winterizing

Don't forget to top up the batteries and be sure they are fully charged. A fully charged battery supposedly won't freeze. I leave an automatic charger setup with a cord hanging over the stern. That way I can charge the batteries a couple times over the winter without having to go aboard. I found that my FLA batteries would run down slowly, even if disconnected.

Do most people completely disconnect the batteries...or just turn the switch off?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 21:53   #17

Quote: "Am I the only one who does this?"

No you're not. When TrentePieds came to us she was set up far, far too tight for a cruising boat, so I slacked 'er off. Because we're in the water all year, and our weather rarely goes below freezing, pulling the stick is a rare occurrence.

In days of yore we usually kept the rigging just taut, and no more, except when racing, and I see no reason do to anything else in a modest little cruising boat with the stick stepped on deck.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 16:57   #18

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Don't forget to top up the batteries and be sure they are fully charged. A fully charged battery supposedly won't freeze. I leave an automatic charger setup with a cord hanging over the stern. That way I can charge the batteries a couple times over the winter without having to go aboard. I found that my FLA batteries would run down slowly, even if disconnected.

Do most people completely disconnect the batteries...or just turn the switch off?
I just turn the switch off but I do disconnect the stereo. Top up batteries with distilled water...check.

I also periodically check on the boat during the winter but found that my visits were too short to charge batteries so I installed two 40 watt solar panels (one/battery).

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat