Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2023, 08:55   #16

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Newbie question about working on the bottom

I asked the yard guys. They said it's OK, one at a time to move 'em all. The I asked how much to lift and re-block keel. "No worries, next time equip is in that area" It was done next day, no charge!
Granted, this is in a "Mom'n'Pop" family owned yard that allows diy. Be pleasant, ask nicely and adhere to any rules.
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:01   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

How long you need between painting and launch depends on the paint. Some need a day or more, but some like VC-17 dry very quickly and can be painted in the slings before lunch break and launched after with no problems.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:18   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
To suggest to others not as experienced as you that’s it’s ok to move stands is just plain irresponsible. The rules don’t apply to you?
The yards In Titusville and Miami (new River) have these rules, I simply don’t believe there are boatyards that don’t have these rules.
I thought this forum was to offer insight and sound advice …..why the negativity?
I think your very limited experience is causing the negativity. Any reasonable intelligent person can put in an adjacent stand and remove one. It ain't rocket surgery.

I'll stick with advice based on my experiences having been in a few hundred marinas (business and pleasure) in 11 different countries over 30 years.
Old 02-07-2023, 13:02   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
My experience has been with the stands they can be moved one at a time. And then when the boat is lifted to be put back in order you paint the bottom of the Keel where the blocks were
This is how it's done here.

I sand then put a couple coats on the bottom then the yard will move the stands one time and I'll do that area that was under the stands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00084.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	277566   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00085.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	277567  

Name:	DSC00106.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	277568   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00100.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	277569  

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	277570   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00071.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	277571  

Name:	DSC00072.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	277572  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 15:49   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
To suggest to others not as experienced as you that’s it’s ok to move stands is just plain irresponsible. The rules don’t apply to you?
The yards In Titusville and Miami (new River) have these rules, I simply don’t believe there are boatyards that don’t have these rules.
I thought this forum was to offer insight and sound advice …..why the negativity?
Considering CF is an international forum it is understandable members will be giving advice that matches their lived experiences. To suggest the same rules apply in the huge number of boat yards spread across many countries is hardly supportable.

At the end of the day, what is and isn't allowed is mostly dependant local regulations, the yard manager and to a lesser extent, the type of clientele.

Disagreement is not necessarily negativity, it can generate discussions which lead to a better understanding of an issue.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 22:12   #21

The boat below was having its bottom painted by a private contractor who decided to move one of the Jack stands so he could paint underneath it. Big mistake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BD147F7E-5E44-4DC9-828E-BE93FE799479.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	277604  
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 22:25   #22

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Under no circumstances move the stands yourself, have the yard do it.
Allow an extra day or two out of the water, have the yard move stands first thing in the morning after the first or second coat, then when finally ready have the yard pick up the boat the night before you splash, allowing you to paint the bottom of the keel. Most yards will accommodate
^^ This is my advice as well.
My yard didn't want me touching the stands with any intent to move them.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 13:08   #23

5 countries and 40 years is not limited experience, sorry.
My point was about liability, which perhaps you’re not understanding. If there’s an incident the insurance company’s investigation will be based on rules and regs and who actually moved the stands!
In any case I prefer to show courtesy to yard staff and let them do it, I get along well with them from start to finish, that’s how I operate, maybe it’s not for everyone.
Wishing you continued good luck with future yard work….
Jim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 13:29   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
5 countries and 40 years is not limited experience, sorry.
My point was about liability, which perhaps you’re not understanding. If there’s an incident the insurance company’s investigation will be based on rules and regs and who actually moved the stands!
In any case I prefer to show courtesy to yard staff and let them do it, I get along well with them from start to finish, that’s how I operate, maybe it’s not for everyone.
Wishing you continued good luck with future yard work….
Being doing everything on our boats for over 30 years and never had an issue in any of the marinas we've done work in. From full paint jobs including numerous bottom jobs (with stand movements) to bow thruster installations, engine removal / replacement and several major structural jobs.

It is presumptuous of you to assume your own limitations apply to others.

PS. The liability issue is a non-starter. No matter who or what causes damage you must claim through your own insurance.
Old 04-07-2023, 14:01   #25

Presumptuous? Seriously?
The thread started from NEWBIE !!
Done, many thanks for the discussion!
Jim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 14:38   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Presumptuous? Seriously?
The thread started from NEWBIE !!
Done, many thanks for the discussion!
Been here a long time, never blocked anyone til' now.
Old 04-07-2023, 14:59   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Times are changing, and the yards around here are getting more and more picky about moving jackstands. I wouldn't do it without asking permission, if for no other reason than to show a little respect.

But what I haven't seen mentioned is that if you put a stand on a recently painted (like the last day or two) part of the hull, it's usually a good idea to put a piece of wax paper between the boat and stand. In fact, the yards here often put wax paper on the Travelift straps, when launching the boat after a bottom job.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 15:56   #28

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Personally I have the yard re-block my boat. It was $250 the last time I had it done, and I was able to get good paint coverage on everything.

To me it is not worth it to have extra bottom growth slowing me down if thin paint fails, also I want to ensure my hull is well protected so blisters do not become a thing.

Some people don't want to spend the extra money, and I get that, but later on if you get blisters in those areas because of it, did you save anything?
Old 07-07-2023, 06:44   #29

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Your guess would be wrong. Any paint applied while the boat is in the slings will almost certainly NOT have cured before the boat is splashed. And it will not cure underwater. This leaves the paint very soft and unstable. It will fail in those spots in short order. Whether the yards understand this or not is anybody’s guess but it is a fairly common occurrence.
I think it depends on what you are using. I've painted about an hr before launch , as well as the yard, using the same paint, and never had any issues.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 06:45   #30

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
Personally I have the yard re-block my boat. It was $250 the last time I had it done, and I was able to get good paint coverage on everything.

To me it is not worth it to have extra bottom growth slowing me down if thin paint fails, also I want to ensure my hull is well protected so blisters do not become a thing.

Some people don't want to spend the extra money, and I get that, but later on if you get blisters in those areas because of it, did you save anything?
Save your money/ Anti-fouling paint (often called bottom paint) is designed to keep critters from getting firmly attached to your hull. It does nothing to prevent blisters.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, work