Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2023, 06:50   #31

Boat: Dickerson Ketch
Re: Newbie question about working on the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Been here a long time, never blocked anyone til' now.
The liability issue is a non-starter. No matter who or what causes damage you must claim through your own insurance.

Got news for you. I hire you, you move the stand and cause the vessel to drop, you better be calling your carrier pronto.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:07   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Newbie question about working on the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
I think it depends on what you are using. I've painted about an hr before launch , as well as the yard, using the same paint, and never had any issues.

As somebody mentioned previously, there a very few paints that will cure quickly, typically thin-film products like VC17. But these are the outlier. Most commonly-used hard and ablative anti fouling paints require hours of curing before they are ready to go into the water and the hang, paint and splash technique used by most yards does not provide that.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
As somebody mentioned previously, there a very few paints that will cure quickly, typically thin-film products like VC17. But these are the outlier. Most commonly-used hard and ablative anti fouling paints require hours of curing before they are ready to go into the water and the hang, paint and splash technique used by most yards does not provide that.
Just pulled my can, per the manufacturer, dry to to splash 1 hr at 75. Not seeing HOURS.
All paints come with instructions. I've never seen my year paint and drop. Have seen my vessel hanging painted till they finally get to it or they need the lift. Usually beyond that hour.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:28   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just pulled my can, per the manufacturer, dry to to splash 1 hr at 75. Not seeing HOURS.
What paint product?
Old 07-07-2023, 07:54   #35

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
The boat below was having its bottom painted by a private contractor who decided to move one of the Jack stands so he could paint underneath it. Big mistake.
If the moving of ONE jack stand caused this, I can only believe it was inadequately supported to start with.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:59   #36

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
The liability issue is a non-starter. No matter who or what causes damage you must claim through your own insurance.

Got news for you. I hire you, you move the stand and cause the vessel to drop, you better be calling your carrier pronto.

In most cases, at least in the U.S., the boat owner signs a storage contract with the boatyard. My storage contract for last winter states "At no time may vessel Owners attempt to adjust or reposition boat stands." I believe that the written contract would take precedence over any verbal permission from yard personnel (who may not even know what's in the contract!)

While it is true that in case of any mishap related to boat stands you would file a claim through your insurance company, the insurance company will then try to recover damages from the boatyard if you are not at fault. If you are at fault (because you violated the terms of the storage contract) the resolution of the claim would depend on the details of your insurance policy.
Old 07-07-2023, 08:14   #37

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
If the moving of ONE jack stand caused this, I can only believe it was inadequately supported to start with.

I’ve been a boat owner for 40 years, doing all my own work at multiple marina in multiple countries. I’ve never seen this before from moving a jack.

I completely agree with fourlyons, bad installation, placement, or number of jack stands. Any or all could be a factor. Another reality is that some people are just intuitive about mechanical things, balance of forces, and other’s aren’t. Sadly, sometime this is the only way to find out.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:36   #38

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Please don't move the jack stands without the boat yard office's permission. If something goes wrong you are on the hook for a lot of hurt.
Just sayin'
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
In most cases, at least in the U.S., the boat owner signs a storage contract with the boatyard. My storage contract for last winter states "At no time may vessel Owners attempt to adjust or reposition boat stands." I believe that the written contract would take precedence over any verbal permission from yard personnel (who may not even know what's in the contract!)

While it is true that in case of any mishap related to boat stands you would file a claim through your insurance company, the insurance company will then try to recover damages from the boatyard if you are not at fault. If you are at fault (because you violated the terms of the storage contract) the resolution of the claim would depend on the details of your insurance policy.
I'm not filing a claim with my carrier when a contractor is to have coverage and I confirm before work starts.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:06   #40

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
I'm not filing a claim with my carrier when a contractor is to have coverage and I confirm before work starts.
From my limited personal experience, I found it easier to file a claim with my company and let them recover damages from the boatyard's insurer. In this particular instance, there was a lawsuit involved, which my insurer took care of. Saved me a lot of hassle!

It really depends on your insurance coverage and your insurance company.
Old 07-07-2023, 09:06   #41

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

IMHO painting the stancion point after loading into the sling is a common practice.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:22   #42

Boat: Beneteau 361

I did my first bottom job on my own sailboat this Feb '23. The yard had no issue or additional charges for moving the stands after I had painted everything else and it had a chance to dry. I came in the next morning and asked them to move the stands, had to wait for a bit until they weren't too busy. Later they put the boat in the travel lift, I painted the underside of the wing keel, they let it hang overnight and we splashed in the morning.
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:58   #43

Don't even think about moving the stands yourself - for all the reasons given.

There's no need any way - for years we've painted up to the pads leaving a feather edge around the pad.

When the boat is due to be re-launched, ask the staff at the yard to lift in the slings and paint under the pads and keel while airborne. Might cost you a box of biscuits or some beers.

If you can persuade them to do the lift before lunch and the launch after, this gives the paint time to form a skin.

Not a problem with this and there has never been a sign of paint loss on the next lift out.
GarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:01   #44
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryD View Post
If you can persuade them to do the lift before lunch and the launch after, this gives the paint time to form a skin.

Not a problem with this and there has never been a sign of paint loss on the next lift out.
I'm guessing that in-water hull cleaning is not a part of your maintenance regimen, right?
Old 07-07-2023, 11:12   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
Under no circumstances move the stands yourself, have the yard do it.
Allow an extra day or two out of the water, have the yard move stands first thing in the morning after the first or second coat, then when finally ready have the yard pick up the boat the night before you splash, allowing you to paint the bottom of the keel. Most yards will accommodate
Quite, have a read of this very sad occurance:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-29ft-12379375
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, work