Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 13:35   #31

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Nice Galley Details

I installed a salt water foot pump in the galley before we went cruising. I think we have used it around three times. If you have a watermaker, they really aren't needed. If the water is clean enough to use at the sink, it's good enough for the watermaker.

One thing I wish we had was a vent hood over the stove. Getting smells, heat and humidity out of the boat would be awesome. Unfortunately, it would be hard to install in our galley with the stove installation on the hull side.

Does anyone have a fore/aft facing stove? Hows it been?

Matt
Old 03-09-2014, 13:57   #32

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Our refrigerator faces fore-aft and has a door as opposed to the more frequent top loader design. The door model makes for a much neater refrigerator and one in which it is far easier to find things quickly, as top loaders get all jumbled. I know the cold air sinks physics is behind the top loader style, but trying to find something at the bottom (and that is where it will inevitably be) in a seaway while upside-down in a top loader is no fun. Having said that, our freezer is a top loader, but we do not open that as frequently. I suspect I would not feel the same way about a door model refrigerator if it were mounted athwart ships, as opening one when heeled ......

Deep and twin sinks handy; ours are center-line so heeling is less of a problem.

We have a four burner stove. Overkill. One really cannot fit four pots or pans on the stove simultaneously, so four burners are wasted. Better off with a good three burner model.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 14:09   #33

I recall being on someone's boat once who had repurposed some old bar cooler hardware for their cooler hatch, which I thought was pretty slick. Nice because they are designed to compress a gasket and accommodate a heavy door.

Also, seems like there is a trend in new boats to have flush counter tops? Maybe not but I would think it a good idea to have a coaming around the cooler hatch, least you spill something and have it run down in the cooler. Anyone? Cooler fiddles for your dribbles?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooler1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	87624   Click image for larger version

Name:	deco-ice-box-sets-9.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	87625  

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 14:46   #34

Boat: Tartan 40

Our Tartan has a neat design that I like- A double sink, each with corian inserts in case we want more counter space. The second sink is shallow, with a dish rack that fits inside. This allows space below for tall trashcan. So the one deeper sink is for washing and rinsing, but the second sink is shallow and holds dishes securely for drying.
Best of all, and a large reason we bought the boat, is that the galley is extra large for a 40 footer in terms of counter space and accessibility- mainly because it only has 1 head- so we don't lose space for a second head which I don't feel like maintaining, cleaning, and unclogging...
I'll dig out a picture later
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 15:06   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Good things we have and like:

A powered exhaust hood over the stove. Unusual on boats, but worth its weight in gold. Not only keeps the fug from cooking smells from permeating the boat, but gets rid of propane fumes. Having had this on my present boat, I would now never want to be without it.

Corian counters -- wonderful surface to work on, warm and pleasant and easy to clean

Built-in place next to the stove to put hot pans

Roomy double sink

Built-in microwave

Plenty of electrical outlets

Separate freezer. You might not use a freezer much at home, but it is invaluable on a cruising boat. Greatly simplifies provisioning and makes it possible to have meat and vegetables when sailing far from civilization. Downside is power consumption.

Things missing or which we don't like:

Adequate storage for trash

Wine glass storage

Microwave should have convection oven

A gimballed counter -- cooking is hell on a long upwind passage with the boat heeling. One gimballed counter would make a huge difference.

Front-loading freezer. Our top loading freezer makes clever use of space which is otherwise nearly inaccessible, under a corner. But crumbs and other carp fall or drip down into it from the counter -- bleh. A front-loading one would be much better. I liked the arrangement I saw on Oysters when I was boat shopping, where large fridge is located above large freezer, both front-loading, in a dedicated cabinet.

Ice maker of some kind would be really nice to have.

Would be really nice if the main oven could work on electricity as well as gas, and had convection.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 17:53   #36

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but I'll throw it out there, great lighting!

Pretty high on my priority list. I've got big plans….

Well, maybe I just have some plans. Seems like two modes are required, full force and subdued for passage making. Personally to have lighting that is both discreet and focused is my goal. I have some thoughts about it, but if you have any photos to show off please do show.
Old 03-09-2014, 17:57   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Magnetic spice containers seems like an interesting idea. I've been thinking about putting some stainless panels up around the stove, maybe use the magnetic variety if I can get it in sheet since I seem to do most of my seasoning at the stove anyway.

I have the ones in your picture in my terrestrial house and they have rusted. Wouldn't advise for a boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 18:08   #38

Regarding foot pumps. Yes, yes, and no. Yes to fresh. Yes to saltwater. No to ice box drain. Well maybe yes to the last if you have an ice box and not a reefer. Not so my case. Thinking instead a drain hose to the bilge that fits a jug. Any thoughts? I don't plan on spilling that much milk.

On the subject of foot pumps, I have been playing with a faucet set up that you can aim, that is appropriate for the kind of flow that a foot pump puts out.

I like what I have been using to date because it seems like with a foot pump, you only have so much flow to work with, that it is nice to be able to put it where you want.

Most faucets/sprayers I see are designed for household water pressure that a diaphragm pump may deliver which is fine if you are using electricity to pump your water…

Maybe others have crossed this bridge?
Old 03-09-2014, 18:38   #39

So, I basically have an L-shaped plan to work with on the port side, just forward of the companionway. I need at a minimum to locate the sink and the cooler, plus whatever bonus I can get.

Aft of the companionway, on either side, are charter-boat-styled 'double cabins' and the forward end of the space is defined by the settees which must be respected.

Along the way I need to provide dish storage/drying, a hatch for the cooler (plus maybe a second for a separate freezer compartment?), staple food storage, room for appliances (french press, electric kettle, toaster), drain board to undermount sink, (plus a bunch of other things like the hole for the rubbish chute or whatever), and a freakin great knife rack for all my lovely blades!

My core dilemma at this stage has to do with the relationship between he sink location and the preferable reefer configuration.

An athwartship reefer, with an outboard sink optimizes the reefer volume, and I would have thought it would provid a nice view for the sink looking at the water off the port side.

However, in the day or two since I moved the sink to the mock-up location outboard, I haven't really enjoyed the view so much as I have missed having the sink in an open location with space all around instead of pushed up against the aft bulkhead of the main saloon where it is sort of a one sided affair.

Maybe the biggest downside to the outboard location, as opposed to the existing centerline-ish location is that, and this might be the deciding factor, I have found that a centerline-ish location for the sink makes a good target for crap I have in hand that I want to get rid of down below when I am on watch. Amiright?

When I am driving the boat, and my hands are full, and I have something I want to get rid of fast, I aim for the sink.

If the sink is out of view, it makes it challenging. Sometimes this if fun. Sometimes it's a distraction.
Old 03-09-2014, 18:45   #40

There have also been many BOOKS written about the "Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts." IIRC, there is a book with that title.

Finding good ideas is always helpful, but sometimes the basics haven't changed in, like, centuries.

Although the Phoenicians may have had a different diet.

And no plastic bags, either.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 19:01   #41

I did a search of "Phoenician Galley Galleys" but came up empty handed. You got any inter webs links to the relevant chapters of these 'books' of which you speak?

Meanwhile, hey just brainstorming. I have lived with a typical household flip-lid plastic garbage can offshore. It was bungeed to an engine cover. Was never designed to be there. Just ended up there. Was sort of a pain in the ass. Would prefer better.
Old 03-09-2014, 19:10   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Delancey,

Put the sink(s) as close to the centerline of the boat as possible, so they drain well. The downhill one never drains well, so I think you need to find a dish drainer that fits the two sinks, if you get 2 sinks, or one that can be placed on the uphill side in a large single one.

We, two have a pullout trash bin, it's about the size of a 5 gallon jerry jug, a 20 liter bin. It is a two handed job, and if you don't dry your hands first, you leave finger tracks which you then have to grab a sponge, wipe up and dry off. So, not ideal, as a64pilot suggested. I do like having it. It faces aft just across from the companionway. We have a U shaped galley, with a top loading fridge that has in the bottom, two frames, next layer 2 boxes, aft ones narrower than forward ones, then 2 top ones. One of the boxes is the dairy products bin, and another, vegetables. The very bottom, where the frames that support the bottom boxes are is for whatever must be coldest. The rest changes according to what will fit where.

When you're planning it, just keep in mind the 20 degrees of heel principle. If it's a monohull sailboat, sometimes you're going to be cooking when the boat is heeled and bouncing, if you plan to do passage making.

Ann
Old 03-09-2014, 19:43   #43

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

our "new" cat has a built in trash bin next to the stove with tip up lid that will stay up. Really like this arrangement. Wife made a simple PVC frame to hold up 20 gal trash bags that works well. I like a closed trash bin, less smell and fewer flies.
Current lighting is poor but new LED strip lights will go in soon.
Still undecided whether to keep the microwave or not.
Salt water foot pump is on the list to add.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:16   #44

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Yep, pitching things in the sink in a hurry is a good thing.

Good lighting is essential for cooking as someone else mentioned.

You might also consider a cutlery drawer outside the galley along the centreline of the boat. Hard to explain but placed in the cabinate forming the galley but on the outside of the galley--handy to the main saloon so a person could access the cutlery without reaching around the cook/going into the galley. Likewise, a work surface a 2nd person could use while standing outside the galley is useful if two of you may be involved in meal prep.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:26   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Good things we have and like:

A powered exhaust hood over the stove. Unusual on boats, but worth its weight in gold. Not only keeps the fug from cooking smells from permeating the boat, but gets rid of propane fumes. Having had this on my present boat, I would now never want to be without it. A godsend indeed...
Quote:
Haven't seen it mentioned yet but I'll throw it out there, great lighting!

Pretty high on my priority list. I've got big plans….

Well, maybe I just have some plans. Seems like two modes are required, full force and subdued for passage making. Personally to have lighting that is both discreet and focused is my goal. I have some thoughts about it, but if you have any photos to show off please do show.
Soft low blue or red led strip lighting in addition to regular "working lighting"

Quote:
Regarding foot pumps. Yes, yes, and no. Yes to fresh. Yes to saltwater. No to ice box drain. Well maybe yes to the last if you have an ice box and not a reefer. Not so my case. Thinking instead a drain hose to the bilge that fits a jug. Any thoughts? I don't plan on spilling that much milk. One straight to the bilge, never an issue...

On the subject of foot pumps, I have been playing with a faucet set up that you can aim, that is appropriate for the kind of flow that a foot pump puts out. Separate foot pump faucet... like the domestic RO @ the sink kind...

I like what I have been using to date because it seems like with a foot pump, you only have so much flow to work with, that it is nice to be able to put it where you want.

Most faucets/sprayers I see are designed for household water pressure that a diaphragm pump may deliver which is fine if you are using electricity to pump your water… Utilized a budget "chromed" plastic domestic faucet w/pull out for the Morgan... No flow issues with std freshwater pump...

Maybe others have crossed this bridge?
Quote:
So, I basically have an L-shaped plan to work with on the port side, just forward of the companionway. I need at a minimum to locate the sink and the cooler, plus whatever bonus I can get.

Aft of the companionway, on either side, are charter-boat-styled 'double cabins' and the forward end of the space is defined by the settees which must be respected.

Along the way I need to provide dish storage/drying, a hatch for the cooler (plus maybe a second for a separate freezer compartment?), staple food storage, room for appliances (french press, electric kettle, toaster), drain board to undermount sink, (plus a bunch of other things like the hole for the rubbish chute or whatever), and a freakin great knife rack for all my lovely blades!

My core dilemma at this stage has to do with the relationship between he sink location and the preferable reefer configuration.

An athwartship reefer, with an outboard sink optimizes the reefer volume, and I would have thought it would provid a nice view for the sink looking at the water off the port side.

However, in the day or two since I moved the sink to the mock-up location outboard, I haven't really enjoyed the view so much as I have missed having the sink in an open location with space all around instead of pushed up against the aft bulkhead of the main saloon where it is sort of a one sided affair.

Maybe the biggest downside to the outboard location, as opposed to the existing centerline-ish location is that, and this might be the deciding factor, I have found that a centerline-ish location for the sink makes a good target for crap I have in hand that I want to get rid of down below when I am on watch. Amiright?

When I am driving the boat, and my hands are full, and I have something I want to get rid of fast, I aim for the sink.
10,000 percent! Whatever it is, it's contained from getting lost, buggered up,and if it's wet, creating a mess...

If the sink is out of view, it makes it challenging. Sometimes this if fun. Sometimes it's a distraction.

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley