Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 11:01   #1
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
non-skid

My boat is presently on the hard and I still haven't resolved how I am going to attack this project. Time is running out.

My boat has non-skid surfaces embedded in the original fiberglass deck and they are still functional but unattractive. I have painted the smooth sections of the deck and now wish to take care of the non-skid. However, I'm concerned about loosing the functionality of the old non-skid surface by filling up the grooves of the original non-skid, i.e. with paint or other treatment.

I've looked at KiwiGrip but all their information/videos speak of application to a "flat surface" which mine are not and their product application would simply fill in the original non-skid grooves and make it a flat surface. I have called them and their rep said I would have to run their roller over the present embedded non-skid with their roller to achieve any non-skid surface; using it as just a paint would not achieve the product's purpose.

Has anyone successfully rejuvenated the embedded non-skid surface of their fiberglass deck to their satisfaction? What product did you use and application technique. I want an attractive finish but without loosing the original non-skid impressions and non-slip feature. I'm wary of just painting them and loosing the non-skid.

Thanks.
Old 22-07-2022, 11:27   #2

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: non-skid

When I repaired my foredeck I used kiwigrip ... in the photo you can see where the kiwigrip went onto the repair with a new smooth surface, where it went over the old nonskid, and some of the original nonskid without kiwigrip.

The kiwigrip over the old nonskid definitely improves the grip, but my original nonskid is pretty worn.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220722_112140883.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	261395
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 11:43   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

what does the old nonskid look like? What’s wrong with it? Is it just those diamond patterns that most production boats have?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 11:51   #4

Paint, washed beach sand, more paint. Works like a charm
Davidjones666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 12:03   #5

Second on using sand. Research google.
giliganthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 12:34   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

MJH many moons ago I redid the nonskid on a Cape Dory Typhoon. I used a two part paint (light tan), sprinkled it with sand a then applied another layer of paint. This was over the existing molded in nonskid. It worked very well, lasted well, looked good and was fairly easy.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 13:11   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

not on a non slip moulded deck, we always used International deck paint on the smooth deck. It doesn't fade so easy to touch in at the end of the season were dive weights and cylinders had marked the paint. Afterwards you couldn't tell the difference.

However, what ever paint you decide, preparation is paramount. We would use washing up liquid and a green pan scrub three times before allowing to dry. This meant the paint really stuck to the deck.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 14:55   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What we have used and been pleased with is acrylmeric sportscote: It was so grippy that on our sugar scoop stern (from which we'd go diving), I sanded it a bit after it had dried so that it wouldn't tear up me or my swimsuit.

I think it will go on thick enough that you won't be able to see the underlying pattern on your old non-skid, but neither will you slip there any more. It will need re-coating in 18 yrs. or so.

Ann
Old 23-07-2022, 02:49   #9

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Hi Ann,
So how does this paint achieve a non-skid surface? Does it have particles of something in it? If so how could it be sprayed as mentioned in the data sheet?
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 15:15   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Nuku,

One rolls the paint on with a roller, and the paint stands up in peaks. When it has polymerized, it feels sort of rubbery, but sharp. Friends from Pittwater told us about it. We walked on theirs when it was about 15 yrs. old, and if we had put two coats on, instead of one, ours would probably not need re-doing now. It does require dry weather for application and till it has finished polymerizing. We had a dew fall the night we applied it in Brisbane, and the drops falling off the boom thinned it in spots. It is water cleanup, and affordable.

Ann
Old 23-07-2022, 15:18   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I don’t know if it helps you but you can buy moulds for just about every non slip pattern by boat model year.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 15:56   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by giliganthegreat View Post
Second on using sand. Research google.
I would not use sand. Petit, Interlux, All-grip make non-skid compounds. I have used aluminum oxide.

The key to using any of these additives is an even application. Practice on a dry deck.

We used a two part polyurethane deck paint with aluminum oxide and it is bullet proof after three years and extremely anti-skid. The existing non-skid will be sublimed.
Old 26-07-2022, 15:58   #13

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Hi Ane,
Thanks for the info on acrylmeric sportscote. It sounds a lot like Kiwigrip. That's a 1 part polymer you also apply with a special textured roller. It cleans up with water and is very tough when it sets up. It ain't cheap, but lots of boats in NZ use it.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2022, 17:19   #14
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Thank you all for your inputs.

Since I was happy with the present non-skid but not the way it looked I used KiwiGrip and followed their advice for a mild texture by using standard three and four-inch 3/8" nap rollers instead of their more aggressive four-inch roller.

My only comment is that with my very busy deck (4 hatches, 2 granny bars, 5 dorads, 6 bullseye fairleads, 16 line-control blocks, deck mounted whisker pole, 5 deck fills, 2 deck drains, stern Samson post, pair of windlass foot controls, 6 cleats, 4 chocks, 16 stanchion footings) a four-inch paint roller can be a little big at times. It took me a day and a half to tape and prep the deck for the application. I'm happy with the result and glad it is finally complete.

Thanks again.