Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2022, 12:51   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Non-skid touch up

Hi,

I just pulled the wheel/pedestal off my deck to convert to a tiller. I’m going to put an observation port in the largest, central hole and then fill the others. After that I just need to clean up the non-skid.

My question is, can I simply paint Total Boat one part poly non-skid over the existing nonskid after cleaning the existing non skid? If so, would I use acetone to prepare the old coat for the new? Or am I off base here? Thanks!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 14:48   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Non-skid touch up

Sorry, not familiar with the "Total Boat" product. That said, the thinners in the paint you propose will eat up underlying paint, unless it is LPU, too. Two-pack poly has the most agressive thinners, then one-pack. It is more effective to remove the other paint first, if you don't know what was used previously, with citrus strip or something else, and then prime and paint with what you want. It should be non-skid. Also, you might want to place a piece of non-skid on your new "skylight", because it will be slippery as greased owl snot when wet.

Ann
Old 21-09-2022, 15:19   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

I have used Total Boat (from Jamestown Distributors) for 6 years or so. The prep is a rub down with acetone, or alcohol, with a 3M fiber pad. The finish is good, the non-skid reasonable, and I have had no peel up. It is a single part paint and will not attack the underlying layers.

Roll on with a roller and fine touch with a brush.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 17:40   #4

Boat: Islander Bahama 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
I have used Total Boat (from Jamestown Distributors) for 6 years or so. The prep is a rub down with acetone, or alcohol, with a 3M fiber pad. The finish is good, the non-skid reasonable, and I have had no peel up. It is a single part paint and will not attack the underlying layers.

Roll on with a roller and fine touch with a brush.
Awesome, thanks. This was the exact advice I was looking for.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 18:37   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

The actual product is called Total Tread. It can be tinted at your local hardware store for a nominal fee.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote