Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11   #1

Not possible.....

OK, I looked at a boat yesterday. There was red diesel fuel in the bilge. The bilge is located amidships. The diesel engine is aft and has a pan under the engine with no drain. The fuel tank is on a bench built behind the engine toward the stern. No fuel is visible under the engine in the collection pan or on the bottom of the engine. No fuel is visible under the tank or on the hull under the bench the tank sits on. No fuel residue is visible in the bilge areas between the engine and the deep bilge where it would have to flow from to get to the deep bilge. Some dust and dirt but no residue..so it wasnt recntly wiped clean... what am I missing? how the heck did the fuel get to the bilge?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:13   #2

Re: Not possible.....

Sounds like you rustled up a genuine gremlin. Better get a cat to take care of it.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16   #3

It would be a great riddle if I just knew the answer! The only thing I can think of is the fill pipe is leaking and it dripped down from there and has a route that is unseen to the bilge.....

Old 07-05-2012, 11:17   #4

One thing you might try is to tape toilet paper or blue paper towels around all the slopes into the bilge. Then fill the tanks and watch. The toilet paper is so weak it will usually ripple or tear and blue towels leave an easier to see trail. I mean it obviously came from somewhere.

Start at the bilge. Build your "detection mote" and then wait. The clues will come.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:18   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Jerry can in bilge?
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:22   #6

Boat: Cal 27

... you mean besides someone accidently dumping it?
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:26   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
One thing you might try is to tape toilet paper or blue paper towels around all the slopes into the bilge. Then fill the tanks and watch. The toilet paper is so weak it will usually ripple or tear and blue towels leave an easier to see trail. I mean it obviously came from somewhere.

Start at the bilge. Build your "detection mote" and then wait. The clues will come.

I use this techique myself. Paper towels also work good, hold up better than TP, and can be laid in wide long strips. A plus is after you find the leak you can use them to clean up.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:37   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Accident or can chaffed through. How much fuel? Is there a day tank somewhere or a diesel heater?
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:56   #9

There is a diesel heater. According to the owner, the only break in the small plastic feed line is for the filter under the quarter berth. It was dry to the touch. it would be best to trace that line full length I think. I just thought it was a funny thing... no obvious answer.... I may not be back to the boat....