Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: I apply “x” coats of ablative paint plus 1 extra ra at water line
2 81 71.05%
3 24 21.05%
4 6 5.26%
5 0 0%
5+ 3 2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 08:02   #61
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Number of Bottom Paint Coats

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I have long maintained that the Practical Sailor anti fouling paint tests and their attendant recommendations are not worth the paper they are printed on and this is a good example of that. Ablative paints foul every bit as quickly as any other kind of paint and require cleaning every bit as often. A recommendation to not clean them until they are near the end of their useful lifespan means somebody doesn't know what the hell they are talking about, certainly not when it comes to using an ablative paint in regions of moderate to high fouling, which is where the majority of saltwater boats in this country live.
The article was based on 30 years of experience, many boats, and many paints. Those observations have always been supported with panel tests.

The above observations are from a hull cleaner in San Fransisco. I'm sure they are valid; the growth patterns on the west coast are very different from the east coast, with different water and different organisms. Thus, it is different from the east coast, which is different from fresh water. Bottom paint selection and cleaning practice will always be a local thing.

Harsh words are not necessary.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38   #62
CLOD

Boat: none

One of the things that don't seem to track on bottom paint tests are the results for paints that are really the same. By same I mean the same actives and percentages, or so close that they are probably within the production blending tolerances of each other. Copper oxide is copper oxidize, and zinc is zinc. Maybe the binders are a little difference, but I pretty much doubt that as they all are buying from the same raw material suppliers I bet. So even an ablative paints "co-polymer" is likely the same as the volumes used in boat bottom paint aren't enough scale of production to be worth it for a manufacturer and the chemical is most probably from some other major industry like mining or automotive.

Maybe this is why so many bottom paints have almost the same descriptions between different companies. It's because they are basically the same.

Now I could be wrong, but I spend the last years of my working life in chemical treatment and I know that all the various players in my industry were getting raw materials from the same place.
Old 14-02-2019, 16:06   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

In the end I put 2 coats on the keel and the very bottom of the hull, and 4 coats on the waterline and sides of the hull. It was Seahawk CuKote with BioCop added to it and the final coat as just the BioCop.

In 3 years if I remember I’ll post the results.
Old 14-02-2019, 18:03   #64
Marine Service Provider

my cousin used 5 oz of round up and 5 oz of the hottest chilli power he could find, 450, to every gallon of paint. after two during a haul out all that needed to be done was wipe the bottom. since he told me that I discovered "Carolina Reaper" the worldshottest pepper at one MILLION 500 thousand on the scholfield chart, not the right spelling, and sinse round up is nasty I plan on using 10oz of "Carolina Reaper" to every gallon of paint. That is the plan when ot comed to the bottom paint. I dont think marine life will like chilli powder but my method will not be toxic.
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 21:12   #65
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
I dont think marine life will like chilli powder but my method will not be toxic.
It also will not work.

Neither Roundup or chili powder have ever been shown to be effective in reducing marine fouling growth. They may be things that you personally would find unpleasant to come into contact with, but that certainly doesn't mean a barnacle will feel the same way. And intentionally introducing an industrial strength herbicide into the marine environment? That is a straight up dick move, chief. Please tell your cousin I said so.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 05:14   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Number of Bottom Paint Coats

Round up is a water soluble liquid, so if you plan on that be sure your paint is water based.
Adding anything, especially a liquid may mess up the paints adhesive qualities, hardness or who knows what else.
Some will add powdered copper, but it doesn’t seem to do anything.

I feel it’s like the pill you take to lose weight in your sleep.
If it worked, everybody would know about it and use it.
One year after someone finds a paint additive that actually works, we will all know about it and be using it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint