Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2020, 16:56   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Number of toilets

I am busy fitting out the aft cabin of a Roberts Mauritius 43 yacht I am building. The design provides for a second toilet in the aft cabin which I believe these days is impractical because.
  • It would require another thru hull fitting.
  • A second waste tank would be required.
  • If I used it the yacht interior would be noisome.
  • There really is not room for it.
The main toilet has a 170 cu ft(?) (noisy) extractor fan and of course waste tank.

Am I on the right track?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-16 Bruce Roberts Mauritius Norfolk 43 Boat Plan - Fine Line Boat Plans Design.png
Views:	116
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	212957  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 17:33   #2

Re: Number of toilets

Yah , normally a second head is is terrible waste of space on s small yacht
Far better to have a tool room , spare parts storage area
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 17:46   #3

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Something to consider: You are probably safe with one head - however if you or if you have a partner on board who will not consider temporarily doing his/her business in a bucket you might want to consider a second head. There is no marine head in the world that has not become blocked at one point or another. I have had boats in the 30-40' range with only one head and we really appreciate having two heads in our more recent boats in the 40 - 50 foot range.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 17:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

If you number just two on board, then one head is plenty. If it is just you and a few kids, one head may still be sufficient. If you intend to have guests on board frequently, then a second head is more civillized.
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 18:02   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Crikey, it wasn't long ago that the family house (with lots of kids and rellies) had one dunny out the back and the boat had one bucket.

Space is always short on a boat, use it wisely; only you know your priorities
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 18:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Your decision should come down to how many people are likely to onboard at least 95% of the time...if only you an your spouse, how often do you expect guests who'll be aboard at least overnight.

If you're comfortable with hosting as assortment of grown kids, grandkids and/or friends with only one loo for longer than an afternoon, then one should be enough. But I'd make sure before repurposing the second one.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 18:16   #7

Boat: Great Harbour GH37

In 46 years of sailing, the only time guests abandoned ship was when the single head failed. 4 girls and 3 guys on 43' sloop sailing Pittwater Basin, 1985. The guys were "...no problem, we'll hang it over...". The girls were gone in 30 seconds.
Had 2 heads ever since.
Knot Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 18:22   #8

Boat: Pearson 424

We sure appreciate having two heads. Mostly just the two of us onboard so they’re really his & her’s, it’s especially nice when guests are visiting. We didn’t even consider multiple heads when looking for our liveaboard boat but the one we bought came with two. If for some reason we purchase another boat in the future I’m sure two heads will be on the must have list.
One holding tank services both heads.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 18:42   #9

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Your decision should come down to how many people are likely to onboard at least 95% of the time...if only you an your spouse, how often do you expect guests who'll be aboard at least overnight.

If you're comfortable with hosting as assortment of grown kids, grandkids and/or friends with only one loo for longer than an afternoon, then one should be enough. But I'd make sure before repurposing the second one.

--Peggie

Thank you that (I appreciate your advice)

I would expect only 5 maximum but most 3/4. I could have the kids/Grand-kids for an afternoon (but mostly the Grand kids would prefer their iPads these days)

I think I'll build a wardrobe where the toilet was meant to be so I can install a toilet later on if I so decide.

If I did have a malfunction in the main toilet would a camping type toilet be worth considering as back-up?
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adventure-kings-portable-camping-toilet-flushable-independent-tank.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoYfy0OXr6AIVwpGPCh19Eg DKEAQYASABEgK96PD_BwE
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 18:47   #10

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

If I did have a malfunction in the main toilet would a camping type toilet be worth considering as back-up?
Don’t you have a swim platform?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 18:49   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you have a partner, what do they say? Porta Potties work okay. Some people don't like dealing with them.

I have to admit, there was a time when with only one head, both Jim and I had the flu, and were running at both ends. It was scary, but we made out okay.

Our present boat is a 46' one off, and has only one head. We've never had more than one.

Ann
Old 15-04-2020, 20:28   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

My previous boat came with a second head in the aft cabin. My first project was to rip it out. Never missed it, but sure did appreciate all the extra storage space and far simpler head/tank/plumbing setup.

My current boat also has only one head. So far, never an issue. I'm sure there could be times when two heads are better than one (), but that would be rare event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
...There is no marine head in the world that has not become blocked at one point or another....
Not quite true. A composting head cannot become blocked. And if there's ever a problem, just tip it out and start fresh. Easy.
Old 15-04-2020, 20:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

An MSD portpotty (what you call a camping toilet) could be a permanent solution. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200USD--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space. Check out the Dometic/SeaLand Sanipottie 975. Dometic has made it all but impossible find anything on their site, so this is a link to it on a US retailer's site...I'm certain it's available in OZ. SeaLand SaniPottie 975 MSD

If you want a more elegant version of a self-contained system, you might consider the Dometic 711 M28 M28 "marine traveler that's designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water. Dometic/SeaLand Traveler at Defender

Either of these should let that compartment double as a wardrobe.

--Peggie

And btw,..assuming that you want an electric toilet as your primary toilet, I suggest you go with one designed to use onboard pressurized freshwater, eliminating the need for a flush water intake thru-hull.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 20:53   #14

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Can you repurpose one of the heads until emergency time? A good hanger system for lifejackets and wetsuits? Storage? Then it's not such a waste of space, and if the inevitable happens (and it will), you can switch the stuff over and flush away until you fix the problem.... or on shorter trips, ignore it, enjoy yourself, and fix it at the dock when you get home.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 21:59   #15

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Can you repurpose one of the heads until emergency time? A good hanger system for lifejackets and wetsuits? Storage? Then it's not such a waste of space, and if the inevitable happens (and it will), you can switch the stuff over and flush away until you fix the problem.... or on shorter trips, ignore it, enjoy yourself, and fix it at the dock when you get home.
^^^ This
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil