Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:40   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
'Oh Joy' Restoration - 11/01/09, with Questions About Iron Sickness . . .

Here are a few of the culprits, some of who's purpose I dont know:

In the stem post, there's this rusted bolt:

What it does, I have no clue. The head fell off as I was digging wood powder out of the slot to expose it. Apparently it had a white oak block in the slot once upon a time. Here's the head:

Here's the inside as near as I can tell. There's a hunk of wood in that steel beam. What it's purpose is, I don't know. It runs about 5' back from the stem.

Here are some bolts that are toast in the bow:

What are those blocks called? I know they're not butt blocks...

Also, here are some deck beam ends with rusted bolts. Some of these exhibit softness in the ends but most don't. Should I replace them all or just the soft ones? All of these bolts are slated for replacement if needed. Should they come out or just be treated and sealed?

Finally, I've cleaned up some of the rib beds aft in preparation for replacing the ribs.

Any suggestions on what ya see are appreciated...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 13:10   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Just curious Charlie..how are you going to fasten the ribs your cutting loose seeing as she is glassed over?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 16:37   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Inside out. The ribs aren't structural anymore since the planks are frozen in place forever now. However, surveyors and the like wouldn't appreciate a blank space where a rib's supposed to be because most don't really understand how C-Flex works. Besides, it looks better when all of the ribs are there.
Old 01-11-2009, 16:44   #4

Got it..thanks

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 01-11-2009, 18:15   #5

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Charlie, could you perhaps take some photos from farther back to give a better view of whats all attached to what? I'm having a hard time connecting things because of the extreme close view.

As to that steel beam, can it be that you have a samson post coming thru the deck at the other end of the beam? If so I'd suggest that its a compression post to transmit pull on the post to the stem and from there back along the deck side beams via tension as they are tied into the stem.

I'll have a look at the wood boat construction books tonite when I get home and see if theres some other reason.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:23   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'll take a few more pictures tomorrow and post them up.
Old 01-11-2009, 18:26   #7

thanks Charlie, maybe we can puzzle this out then.

Sabre
Old 02-11-2009, 07:09   #8
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
The one running down the stem looks like it may be a drift. Is the block you refer to attaching the stem to the clamp?

Need more pics.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 16:28   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here ya go.

Here's the bow from a wider perspective:

A bit closer..., what are those blocks called?

The bolt in the stem appears to go nowhere. The steel beam is actually wood and grooved to fit the centerline bulkhead in the chain locker. here are pics of the setup:

Upper

Lower

Bulkhead

Does that help?
Old 02-11-2009, 17:15   #10

Hmmmm. This is curious. I take it that the hole just in front of the bulkhead with the oval opening is your hawse hole. So that post up top under the deck only keeps the divider vertical so you have two cable lockers. Looking at the damage to the inside of the planking and ribs, it would appear that chain went in one side and rope on the other. Practical.

As to what those blocks are called, I'll have to have a look at my wood boat books. Been awhile since I looked at a wood boat. I notice theres no lining in the chain locker to keep the chain off the planking. Never seen that before. I'll have a look at the book tonite n see what I can find out. I still have no idea what that metal fitting is at the stem. Where does the forestay attach to? Could that fitting attach to this one?

Sabre
Old 02-11-2009, 18:15   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
You will probably get the parts called by different names in other countries. In my experience the blocks are breasthooks, although in England I have heard them called stem partners. If the vertical piece with the bolt heads showing is not the solid stem, but an inside piece to help support the eyes of the planks where they are set into the stem rebate, then it is called the stem apron. The lining that Sabre refers to is the ceiling, even thought it is attached the the frames.
Interesting project, keep the photos coming.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 18:33   #12

Hey....look at that... my sawzall is famous...

Old 02-11-2009, 19:30   #13
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
A bit closer..., what are those blocks called?
Stemhead or Samson blocks (I've heard both). I just call it the stemhead partners. I thought breasthooks are just on dinghys.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:16   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The hawse holes go through the deck about 6" to each side of that beam and 24" aft of the stem. The forestay connects to the bowsprit, as does the staysail stay. The sprit bolts down through those holes to each side of the beam running fore and aft. No, there's no lining. Should there be? If so, I can make some stripping to cover the planks easy enough. There's another divider athwartships after the chain locker as well which provides another space for more rode or lines. She had about 300' of chain aboard, mostly 3/8's.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:10   #15

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
S&S,

You are correct, breasthooks now-a-days are usually only seen on dinghies as fininished items.
To reference back to when Charlie's baby was built, I went to my 1947 copy of Yacht Construction, by KHC Jurd,Technical Manager, Camper & Nicholsons, and I quote:

Shelf and Clamp: These may be made of Spruce, Pitch Pine, Larch,etc. The shelf is an important longitudinal tie, securing the upper ends of all the timbers, and providing a ledge upon which the ends of the deck beams rest. In classed vessels the size of the shelf is given in the rules, the sectional area being determined by the Lloyd's length L.
The shelf should extend all fore and aft, and the two sides are connected with a breasthook at the stem,and crutches or knees at the sternpost, transom or archboard of the counter. end quote.
Charlie, you are taking us old "chippies" (Royal Navy slang for a shipwright) on a much appreciated trip down memory lane. Don't stop now.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration