Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2009, 13:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I went through all the slides. Everything is a project on this boat. I did see some new gear stacked up waiting for installation so that saves some money but some of just everything has problems that are visible and that means beyond just cleaning it up. The estimate of what it will take is seriously low. Much of the money you need for this project is only materials and that alone is pretty steep. To complete the project you'll need a full shop. You need 100% of the following: water, electrical, mechanical, upholstery, running rigging, ground tackle. The rudder looks suspect. The decks look like they leak in many places. The wood repairs are all very complicated. Those are all the clearly 100% items. When we get into the mostly category it seems like anything else makes the second list. This boat won't touch water without far more money and time than you have. 20 hours per week is just the accounting required. We could start a whole section on Cruisers Forum going through all the work you need to do.

If you had tremendous energy, ambition, a ton of experience, and seriously large bank account we could call you excentric. You need to stack the deck in favor of the captain so you can sail away. You need a boat you could actually complete.

In your budget you could find a smaller boat and still take a year fitting it out and start out with more boat and less project. Spending a little bit more up front would all be more than saved on the unknown side of the ledger with this boat. You would have a boat, and be able to sail it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 16:30   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Dream View Post
It's a drug boat that was completely disassembled by the previous owner in an attempt to create hidding places. (Before they went to jail). Bill
Hi Bill,

Thats the funniest post we have ever read!

Nic and I are falling about eh boat in stitches

Nic wants to know if the engine is disassembled too?

I wonder if there is still a small stash of sommit in some hidey-hole?

We are not denigrating you, but it is funny Good luck with it. I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 17:48   #18

Hi Mark,
With this boat I'm thinking if I was smart I would have already ran. In answer to your question, no the engine was not disassembled.

To me it doesn't look like it was ripped appart by feds. It looks like an owner somewhere along the way started multable projects and didn't get any of them finished.

One day I think, "RUN LIKE CRAZY". The next I'm thinking well it isn't too bad. That's why I keep crunching numbers. After Paul's post I think I'll take a long hard look at my numbers and see what I've left out.

I'f I'm lucky they'll sell the boat while I'm on the fence.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 17:51   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Aren't all boats project boats?

In my mind, what you don't want is a sort of project boat. If you are basically going to rebuild everything, you shouldn't pay for much beyond the value of the hull. The problem with boats that need a serious rebuild is that the owner still sees some value in those cushions that need reapolstering, some value in that counter top you are going to tear off, some value in that fuse box you are going to rip out and replace with a circuit board, some value in those old blown out mildewed sails. If you are going to rip it out, the value to you is zero. Actually it's a burden - you need to remove and dispose of it.

I had one pocket cruiser, I basically gutted and rebuilt. It was fun in a demented sort of way. Having new systems that I knew inside out was a real plus when it finally came time to take her cruising.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 19:02   #20

Bingo, nautical. I measure the value of the boat by what it will cost to get it cruise ready. The owner values the boat based on what he has in it.

These boats currently sell for 35 to 45k so I start at 45k and subtract what the boat needs to make it seaworthy. Note, I said seaworthy, not comfortable. Comfort to me is something you pay for on top of the cost of the boat.

I think 2k would be too much for the boat. He thinks the 25 yr old water maker alone is worth that much. Which by the way is missing the control panel for it.

Or how does one place a value on a windless when all the wiring is ripped out and there is no way to test it?
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 19:15   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It looks like an owner somewhere along the way started multiple projects and didn't get any of them finished.
Don't let visions of the future fool you. You might just be right. Tis can happen where you know something is wrong but you won't believe it.

I really think there is a project boat in your future. Just pray it isn't this one. This boat is clearly the answer to - it could be worse. There really is some cute puppy that was never loved waiting to be rescued. It really would be nice if it was better looking than this one. You just have to go out there and find the one meant for you. If you are not in a hurry you know you were meant to sail!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 19:28   #22

Location: I live in Soutbridge, MA and Sail out of New Bedford
Boat: 82 O'day 25, Shadubie
Sounds like you are talking yourself into buying this huge head ache of a boat, or should we call it a huge money pit. If you really want to sail you can afford a great boat for the money you're about to waste on this on this heap. Consider just the cost of moving and storage for two years. you could buy a nice seaworthy vessel. RUN MAN RUN......
avril25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 19:54   #23

Boat: Gullfstar 50
[quote=Daddy's Dream;304942] I don't need a lot to be comfortable. But I do place a high value on electronics and charging, (depth, wind speed, radar, GPS, auto pilot, vhf, wind gen, and solar pannels). Which to me are consumables as they become outdated or just break down. The next major consumable expense would be the rigging. Which I could do within two years once it's back in the water.
AND
Bingo, nautical. I measure the value of the boat by what it will cost to get it cruise ready. The owner values the boat based on what he has in it.

Just a thought in passing (which is what I would do on this boat) IMHO your priority is flawed. To place high value on those items mentioned and not the hull integrity and soundness of the vessel on the whole is steeped in disaster. I place value on electronics as well, but the hightest value is on seaworthiness of any vessel. I too looked at all of the slides. It is obvious from the substantial majority of posters to this thread that very few, if any, would entertain this project. You asked, they spoke, in unison. This is a major undertaking that will take large amounts of both expertise and knowledge, not to mention a huge bankroll. If this is what you are looking for, then have at her. I wish you the best of luck...you will need it. I would rather suggest that you keep looking. The boat market is relatively soft in this period of economic upheaval. There are many boats for sale in every condition imaginable. I cannot imagine this one being good value even if it is free...which it is not.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 21:01   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy's Dream View Post
1. I'm disabled and have plenty of time to work on a project. While I have to be careful and can't do more than 20 hrs / week in light labour.
I am trying to think of many boat yard jobs that are light labour.

Nup! Stuff me if I can think of one.

I'm not being a smart-ass (OK, I do sound like it) but I am an able-bodied, aged 49 11/12ths old, fittish, young bloke..... and I can tell you every time Nicolle looks away I take a quick breather! Even a bloody paint roller gets heavy with a scoop full of Micron Extra. Holding a drill above my head for more than a minute, or sander or even a spanner, can get tedious pretty quickly.

The only light boat jobs I do is washing the dishes and typing on the internet.

Obviously you don't need a twit like me to enquire how much you can deal with, but please err on the side of lassitude in figuring how much work you can put in when putting a boat together

All the best

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 21:22   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Rehoming a cute unloved puppy...

If you must rehome a puppy then better choose one that the previous owner loved.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote