Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 04:29   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Old Rigging and Loose Rudder

Is it because I'm getting older or just know how dependent a single hander is at times on nothing breaking.

I've been in 28 knots and up before on the Chesapeake Bay but not as far south in the lower Bay as I was on Saturday.

Constant whistling in the rigging as I crossed which was different. I'm usually at the dock when I hear wind whistling in the rigging of boats.

The waves were quite steep and large and as usual I had too much sail up and couldn't take it down without turning back into the wind and the steep waves which would have easily covered the deck and maybe taken out my dodger.

As is was, I took 3 waves over the windward side while trying to get leverage so I could head DDW. The dodger frame got broken with one of those.

I was able to get the jib furled which was not easy.

Good news was I made it across in three hours and was very tired after just that ......plus a short run the day before.

I tightened up the rudder / tiller connection the next day, but there is still a tiny bit of movement in the rudder so maybe bearings are going? I'm sure I'll have to pull the bearings to get the part number right?

Short video during a lull in the waves that gave me time to grab the camera. It was a pretty day, but the Coast Guard was busy helping a 50' Cat taking on water.........

When I had time to watch, it was amazing how the old Bristol would rise up just before the breaking waves came over the stern. It was quite impressive the design that allowed for this. It was a pretty smooth ride except for one accidental gybe after the wind veered NE.

The boat was pushing a lot of water though when it got driven into the waves ahead

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Old Rigging and Loose Rudder

Just be glad you weren't on the other side of the DelMarVa penisula.

I enjoyed the story/video. Was there a question in there about the steering? If so, yes, it would be worthwhile, I think, to deal with what sounds like the rudder pintles/gudgeons egging. It's a simple but critical system.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:15   #3

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Old Rigging and Loose Rudder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Just be glad you weren't on the other side of the DelMarVa penisula.

I enjoyed the story/video. Was there a question in there about the steering? If so, yes, it would be worthwhile, I think, to deal with what sounds like the rudder pintles/gudgeons egging. It's a simple but critical system.
At one point, I was considering heading offshore, but the wind went more North from it's original NW. And later NE.

I had to dodge a tanker coming in the Northern Channel so I headed more Southerly toward him (and the tunnel gap) and the conditions improved with the wind more to the stern. This after I had gained more leverage to the West while still having some land protection

My thinking was if I could get out into the ocean I would have had the wider spaced waves and possibly some protection behind the land once I got more South but the problem would have been getting offshore.

I then saw my marks (the 2 tall buildings at Town Center/Independence and VA Beach Blvd) and realized I could line up pretty close to them and be in good shape with wind and waves.

Question was rudder bearing part number. I'm guessing the rudder has standard bearings? I've never disassembled a rudder post before but have replaced lost of bearing in other applications.

The rudder turns smoothly now but has a bit of movement so when I pull the boat next time I think I should disassemble and inspect the rudder components
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, rudder