Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 04:37   #1

Boat: Ontario 32
Ontario 32 Waste tank retro fit

I am new to this forum but looking forward to the substantial knowledge base.

I have recently purchase a 1977 Ontario 32. Love the boat but having odor issues I believe are related to the waste holding tank. The tank is under the V berth and has a large smoked Plastic top that I believe clamps down onto the tank.
The tank seems to be formed as part of the boat construction and appears to be somewhat structural so I don't think I can cut it out. I cannot tell whether the the tank itself is actually part of the hull fiberglass construction or if there is a liner in the fiberglass compartment. The lid has tape over the lid screws and there is definitely odor issues there. I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of the tank construction and what would be the best way to change out the existing thank system and with what. If there is no liner could the smell be permeating through the fiberglass tank structure? The hoses are all fairly new.

Thanks for any help
Wheels53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Ontario 32 Waste tank retro fit

Welcome to the forum, Wheels.

It's not likely that sewage smell is coming all the way through the walls of a structural fiberglass tank, although Peggy Hall may know of cases. Let's hope she (the forum's Sewage Queen) responds.

I would start by eliminating other sources, including screw heads (set the screws in bedding), loose clamps or rough piping under the clamps (bed them, too), the cover plate, and the like. I'd also clean out the present odors with a bleach-based cleaner, so that you are not just smelling old stuff as you eliminating sources.

Cutting into the tank, replacing the tank, lining the tank are all way down the list - try the cheap easy sources of trouble before jumping to a drastic, expensive, and hopefully unnecessary repair.

Good luck with it, and do tell everyone what you find when you go exploring.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31   #3

Boat: 2005 Bavaria 36
Re: Ontario 32 Waste tank retro fit

As a former Ontario 32 owner welcome to your wonderful new boat. There is an Ontario owners forum that is still quite active. I believe it is with Yahoo groups. Maybe someone else can help out with the exact information.

Our v-berth tank was used for water. Some were converted or used for holding tanks.

If you don’t have any luck in the next while. Write me back and I will work on setting up the communication lines for you.
Harveyhall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ontario