Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2023, 08:00   #1

Boat: S2 11.0 Aft Cockpit
Opinion on tinted portlights

[SIZE="2]]I'm looking for experience and opinions on replacing lightly tinted acylic port lights, with darker tinted. The current tint is like this:
[/SIZE]

But I think I want to darken it to this:

There are 6 old lights, each 11"x32", and they are crazed and hazy, but they are all removed now. The boat is an S2 11.0A, and the lights cover the midships area: galley, chart table & saloon.
I have no doubt that the exterior of the boat will look better, but does anyone have an opinion on whether or not darkened lights pose a problem on the interior, for observation purposes or just lighting level?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive....those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C.S. Lewis
Lou-In-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 08:16   #2

Re: Opinion on tinted portlights

I'd do it. It'll look great from the outside, and the loss of light inside would be negligible in my experience.

What's scary, is that there are a lot of cars on the road with windows that are a lot darker than what you're contemplating.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 09:55   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

I went a little darker than your "dark" photo and next time even darker. Keeps the interior cooler. Still had good visibility outward.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 10:12   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i have them and they do offer a bit of privacy and less blinding sunlight. i can see out fine.
Old 21-02-2023, 10:55   #5

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Mine are slightly darker than what you are considering, including hatch and compagnionway lenses.
Same as previous posts.
Still plenty of interior light, affords some additional privacy, less reflection from
sun and less UV rays.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 11:58   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I just redid all of ours a little darker than that.
The positives are, less heat inside, less visibility in from outside dock walkers, spectacular sunsets as it adds some great color,
The con is you turn your interior lights on earlier, since it isn't as bright inside.
In a tropical area darker is better. Subtropical, or bouncing back and forth, your tint is perfect
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 14:05   #7

Boat: S2 11.0 Aft Cockpit

Thanks to all you guys!
I was concerned looking out at night was going to be a problem, as I like to take a peek out in the middle of the night when at anchor.
Anyway, here are the three options, the lightest as I said is just about what I have now, the middle is what I'm considering, and a few of you have mentioned darker yet, and the last is the darkest bronze they have.
Again, what I have, what I initially wanted to do, and the darkest option:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive....those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -C.S. Lewis
Lou-In-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 15:17   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I fell victim to the old salt theory that tinted windows can cause poor visibility.

Well, so can heat stroke.

I would tint them as well. And the next time I do mine they are getting tinted dark. I think I might even get some window tint film for mine.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 16:41   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For what it's worth, my husband has some visual issues, associated with aging and wet macular degeneration. I would say, based on my experience with his vision, that you are right to be concerned about visual issues at and after dusk, and in pre-dawn light, with clarity of vision in those low light conditions. If there's a way to get a dark scrap to look through before you commit the money, that might help with the decision.

Ann

Tags
portlights