Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 14:42   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Orange Peel Rolling Brightside...

...is due to ????

I have my suspicions but what do the experts say?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 15:12   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Orange Peel Rolling Brightside...

^^

Too thick. slight thinning is generally helpful. Just a tick, depending on temperature.

Prior layer not fully dry. It needs to be really dry, not just dry to the touch. Most common cause. Dry enough to sand easily.

Didn't sand between coats.
Old 22-10-2016, 15:25   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Not an expert. But in really cool weather I have gotten by with no brushing thinner, on a cloudy day. Anything close to a warm day needs thinner. Use sparingly, just a tick as thinwater said.

Temp is key, but also no sun on the boat is good but can be done with experience. And add to that no wind is essential as well, as the slightest breeze will flash dry the outer surface.

I think the recommended brushing thinner is best also. Not a reasonable substitute.

Seems the best way to tell it's right,... it scares you to look at the first section because it looks like it's gonna run.
Old 22-10-2016, 19:14   #4

I think my problems stem from a bit of hubris.

I am here in Florida. Rolled first coat today. Used no thinner. Applied late in day to avoid worst of the heat and sun, but there was plenty of direct sunlight anyway.

Also a bit of a breeze.

Realizing the paint was really flashing off quickly, I worked as fast as I could, thinking I could beat the odds.

Instead, I should have waited for a cloudy day, hung a shade or turned the boat to point north, rather than toward the south. Or added some thinner or retarder.

All is not lost though. Tomorrow it will get a good sanding and I will try to find a better time to paint. Maybe as soon as the dew dries. Let's see what the second coat brings.

Painting indoors is so much easier.

I appreciate all the tips.
Old 22-10-2016, 19:22   #5

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

I am here in Florida. Rolled first coat today. Used no thinner. Applied late in day to avoid worst of the heat and sun, but there was plenty of direct sunlight anyway.

Also a bit of a breeze.

Realizing the paint was really flashing off quickly, I worked as fast as I could, thinking I could beat the odds.

Instead, I should have waited for a cloudy day, hung a shade or turned the boat to point north, rather than toward the south. Or added some thinner or retarder.

All is not lost though. Tomorrow it will get a good sanding and I will try to find a better time to paint. Maybe as soon as the dew dries. Let's see what the second coat brings.

Damn a two edge sword. late in the day is conducive to blushing as the dew sets in. Yet painting in the heat will flash off the paint. What we usually do in the tropics is try to paint as early as possible in the day. Sometimes we get up before dawn and tac everything off. Soon as the sun comes up we start. Sometimes one of us holds an umbrella to keep the wet edge in the shade. We also put thinner into a squeeze mustard bottle. That way within a few seconds we can add thinner stir and be on our way again

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 22-10-2016, 19:32   #6

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Well, a sanded first coat just makes the next coat look better.

If the boat is bow to the north or south, you can do the west side before noon and the east side in the afternoon. That will provide the most shade for the job.
Old 22-10-2016, 19:43   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Roll and tip. Roll and tip...........

When rolling on brightsides one needs to tip it with a wide soft brush immediately, after a rolled section.

Go to YouTube and search brightsides. They'll show how it's done.

Never paint in the direct sunlight. Never paint in more then 80°. If you thin the paint you'll have to paint twice. Just ad the required amount of 333 for brush painting.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yard14a.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	133479   Click image for larger version

Name:	yard14b.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	133480  

Old 22-10-2016, 20:12   #8

Quote:

Also a bit of a breeze.

Don't know alot but my limited experience with brightsides would suggest if you sand between coats then you need to let it dry for a few days.

Primer can be sanded very soon but Brightsides needs to harden up enough to sand out well.

I agree with adding the thinner as you go and also immediately tipping. That's why it's nice to keep adding small bits of the thinner to keep the wet edge wet.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 20:20   #9

I just keep my tipping brush clean and wet with thinner.
Old 22-10-2016, 20:40   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
...is due to ????

I have my suspicions but what do the experts say?
Roller stipple is caused by the act of rolling. If this is what you are referring to, use roll and tip instead. There are other techniques too, one can also do roll on with a wet roller and roll out with a dry foamy.

True orange peel is usually caused by applying the next coat before the last coat is sufficiently cured.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 20:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
Don't know alot but my limited experience with brightsides would suggest if you sand between coats then you need to let it dry for a few days.
In my experience, days over 70°, two days is enough to wet sand with 80 grit wetNdry providing the paint isn't too thick.
Old 23-10-2016, 14:20   #12

Sanded this afternoon. Dry enough to sand after 24 hours except for a couple spots where I apparently laid on the paint a little thicker. Will finish up sanding tomorrow.

Plan to erect awning, add brushing liquid 333 (is this Penetrol or similar?), and paint the following day - as early as possible. Applying the paint yesterday it clearly felt too thick, and the warm surface and direct sun really killed things.

Will report back!
Old 23-10-2016, 14:52   #13

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I have used brightside before....I thinned it to a milk thickness...yes I did 3 or four coats but I ended up with a great finish that even my wife accepted
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 13:31   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Some of this advice seems to be for LPU. Brightsides is an oil based polyurethane. You don't want to touch it with a "dry foamy". A very small amount of thinner is good but not absolutely necessary. For hull topsides you want to tip vertically from top to bottom. It is all about keeping a wet edge and once you start you have to keep going. If you make it all the way around without a screw up that you can't live with then call it done, otherwise keep sanding and recoating. Once you tip though you have to leave it alone, you cant go back and try to "fix" it once it gets sticky (it is pretty much sticky right away). A surface with a nice sheen and a small amount of orange peel should be acceptable. Most new cars have "orange peel" in the clear coat. I think what you have is roller stipple. Some people can get a good result with just a brush. You will need a good brush. But for me it is a short nap mini roller in one hand and the brush in the other. This leaves no hands for the ladder but we are sailors so that should be no problem. It is also good to have a helper to hold the paint pan and look for runs or missed spots. With this type of paint job you are expected to recoat or retouch a lot anyway. It is not as tough as LPU. If you need it to look perfect, find someone to spray it fpr you
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 16:23   #15
cruiser

I painted my decks a year ago with Brightside and its primer.Now in certain areas where there is lots of birdpoop and the deck drain area where water ponds the topcoat is coming off in splotches!!! Is this typical? Mybe I will sand and just use the white primer as it didn't come off! (help)
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote