Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2023, 05:49   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Origo 6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petechap View Post
Thanks so much for your link and detailed reply Franziska it is exactly how I was thinking of control. I have managed to get a used origo cartridge from eBay but wondered what your thoughts were on the cartridge essentially being in the oven, as the door is full height, I won’t have the option to use a different setup on this old oven. If the cartridge full of fuel is no issue I’m ok with it. Of course I’ll field test it first.

Pictures of progress to date
Looks good.

Just a thought, maybe swap the position of stove and wooden worktop.
You can then use the stovetop and worktop simultaneously without burning or scalding yourself while using the stove.
Old 24-08-2023, 06:07   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Just find it to be a risk not worth taking when there are safer alternatives
I will use the oven for baking and cooking if I ever stop refurbishing her
Yes, if I can’t get the oven to work, I will build a gimballed box for the Origo 3000 and an electric oven/air fryer under
We had similar concerns a couple of years ago with our then 33 year old gas cooker. The rust from the grill burner would fall on the toast and the oven dreadful, which was the final straw and it had to go.

We did fit a new gas hob and grill which was fine, then saw Amazon drop the price of a small double induction hob, so went for it and removed the gas. We nearly, we still have a single Camping Gaz 904 (1.8kg) left but unconnected in the gas locker just in case.

The key item was the Remoska which is just a super oven and uses 1/3rd of an electrical convection type. Oh and it cooks everything beautifully. We bought a second one to use at home.

Post 154 in this thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...266163-11.html

Good luck with the project. Since they aren't made anymore, it needs someone to be inventive and try something different, even if it not perfect the first time around, the knowledge gained is invaluable to anyone who follows in your foot steps.

We did look at alcohol hobs but the Origo is just slightly too big with the gimbals and I didn't fancy moving the cabinets.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vango2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	280047  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2023, 21:33   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Thanks so much for your link and detailed reply Franziska it is exactly how I was thinking of control. I have managed to get a used origo cartridge from eBay but wondered what your thoughts were on the cartridge essentially being in the oven, as the door is full height, I won’t have the option to use a different setup on this old oven. If the cartridge full of fuel is no issue I’m ok with it. Of course I’ll field test it first.
Pictures of progress to date
Pete, I don't think putting the fuel canister in the oven is going to work. The oven could reach 180-200c easily. At this point the alcohol (meths to you and me) will evaporate and burn off very quickly. Since a canister contains 4.5 hours of fuel, that will be a huge amount of heat being created in a short time, way exceeding what an ordinary cooker might see.

I think you have four options:

Firstly buy or make an Origo 1500 and after cutting a hole in the oven base, bolt it to the underside of the base so the flame is in the oven. That way the canister stays cool. Note the 3000 and 1500 have lots of holes around the lower compartment to enable air to reach the flame and I suspect keep the canister cool.

Second option. Put an electric convection oven (1500w) with or without a microwave in the space, after cutting lots of holes for ventilation.

Thirdly take off the oven door and fix a Remoska in side, they are 580w.

Final barking idea is dual fuel. Buy a second hand Taylors 30 parafin stove and ignore the top burners. Instead just fix the 3000 on top. They are similar widths. A parafin stove is a bit of a faff to light, so as a hob not for us. However, how often are you going to use the oven? once a day perhaps, well that would be acceptable. Keep the meths Origo hob for the frequent usage like boiling the kettle for tea. Should you be short of one fuel, use the other until you can replen.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylors.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	280080  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 08:19   #19

I never cared much for Origo non pressurized products. From my experience with the portable heater I always got a lot of alcohol fumes in the boat, moisture. Takes longer to boil water.
My old Kenyon alcohol pressurized 2 burner worked great! Bottom of the pans stayed clean too.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 16:44   #20

Boat: Presto 36

I have a 1968, two burner Swedish made Stainless Steel, Punker alcohol stove. The stove that, Origo, wishes that it was.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 18:01   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
I have a 1968, two burner Swedish made Stainless Steel, Punker alcohol stove. The stove that, Origo, wishes that it was.
Photos please!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
origo