Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2022, 07:54   #1

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32
Origo Stove Canister Material?

I have an Origo 4000 that one of the canisters fiber filler has gone bad or is defective. It has become sort of compressed and dense. The steel container is OK. Would like to refill but not sure what that material is. Looks like fiberglass insulation. Does anyone know what the material is? Where to get it?
Thanks
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2022, 09:18   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Origo Stove Canister Material?

They can get waterlogged.

I once had good results drying one out overnight in an oven set at 250 or so. I suppose there is some risk of fire and explosion from residual alcohol when doing that so I don't necessarily recommend it. I think if I were dealing with that problem again I'd put the canister in a sealed plastic bag with a bunch of silica gel for a week.

I had a near miss with my Origo stove on my last boat when there was a breeze flowing down towards the stove from the portlight in just a certain way that caused the flame from the stove to blow inside the stove, burning up the plastic part of the control lever. We put it out with water.

I think that the widely available butane box stoves are actually safer on the whole; yes, gas can accumulate and explode but there are hazards with any fuel and the small size of the butane canister is an inherent safety feature.
Old 21-09-2022, 03:34   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Is this any help?

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-w...als-79166.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 05:13   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
They can get waterlogged.

I once had good results drying one out overnight in an oven set at 250 or so. I suppose there is some risk of fire and explosion from residual alcohol when doing that so I don't necessarily recommend it. I think if I were dealing with that problem again I'd put the canister in a sealed plastic bag with a bunch of silica gel for a week.

I had a near miss with my Origo stove on my last boat when there was a breeze flowing down towards the stove from the portlight in just a certain way that caused the flame from the stove to blow inside the stove, burning up the plastic part of the control lever. We put it out with water.

I think that the widely available butane box stoves are actually safer on the whole; yes, gas can accumulate and explode but there are hazards with any fuel and the small size of the butane canister is an inherent safety feature.

I got this from the makers of Origo:

"Contaminated fuel reservoirs reduce heat output. The canister is built using a donut-shaped ring of densely packed mineral wool around the outside, with a glass fiber core up the middle and a sheet of glass fiber on top, just under the wire mesh. Contaminants in the fuel, primarily high-boiling denaturants and fusel oils, migrate upwards with the fuel to the glass mat, where they concentrate and dry into a gunky black residue. Food spills also contribute."

"The cure? Let the canister run empty and then let it dry for a day. Burn any organic residue to ash with a propane torch, loosen it with an old tooth brush, and blow it off. If water has accumulated from burning wet alcohol (>5% water), allow the alcohol to evaporate from the reservoir for several days, and then dry completely in a medium oven for several hours. The heat will not damage the fill."

Contamination with poor quality alcohol is pretty common in some parts of the world. I've regenerated a few canisters this way.

Tags
origo, stove