Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2022, 13:22   #31

Re: Our boat may need a complete bottom job

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The marina loves to find guys like you, too busy to do any of it yourself, or even to be around to supervise. So they will quote you for the total job, for a fair profit for themselves, and probably they will do it very well, and you'll pay.

So, if you have the dough to hire them, go ahead. But for a few days work to scrape and sand off the old stuff and do a decent prep, you can learn a lot and save some money.

But be sure not to listen to them say, "Oh, you can't do it that way, you'll have trouble later." You friends who told you just to do it and relaunch... they're right.
I love these guys with the “if you pay a guy to do it you’re a wuss” attitude.

I have always done my own bottom painting, but like you I bought an Oceanis last fall and the keel is rusty. Like you, the marina where I got it said it might be fine to just paint over it. The surveyor said no. Like you, I don’t know what is under the paint. There may be blisters. There may or may not be a barrier coat.

I decided to spent the money and get it done at the yard. I am having the keel blasted, and everything else stripped. I am having a barrier coat and new paint put on. It is going to cost me a painful amount. But I trust the yard, I know they will do a better job than I can do, and I will be set up for the future. I do not have the capability to blast the keel and trying to scrape the rust off in a half assed way is not the best thing.

Sometimes you have to spend the money.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 15:44   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 19:01   #33

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I guarantee that wherever you are on the Chesapeake, there are dive services doing in-water hull cleaning for boats just like yours every single day. I can't believe people will complain about bad barnacle growth is and then go a year or two without cleaning their hulls

Yup. I have a great diver who comes every month during season while we are in Chesapeake
http://www.annapolisdivingcontractors.com/

Worth the money- great cleaning, get a nice report on zinc and bottom status every time and
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 07:34   #34
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
It's so efficient that in addition to having to take your boat to and from this huge boat washing device, a diver is still required to do the things the Drive-in Boatwash cant- like removing hard fouling, cleaning all the places the brushes can't reach, installing anodes etc., etc., etc. Why not just have the diver come to your slip and do all of those tasks (including the hull cleaning) while the boat owner doesn't have to lift a finger or even be present?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drive in boatwash croatia.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	254002  
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:59   #35

A couple of general comments

Increasingly yards won’t let the owner do bottom work due to insurance and environmental regulations.

I do most of the work on my boat but stopped sanding and applying antifouling paint 20 years ago. It’s hard, nasty work that is hazardous to your health. I think it’s worth the money to let someone else do it.

That bottom doesn’t look all that bad to me for a cruising boat. I’d probably have the yard sand the few really bad flaking spots and put on a coat of ablative paint before launching. One of these years you’ll have to strip it back but it doesn’t have to be this year. Have the bottom cleaned monthly by a diver (which you have to do anyways to keep the prop clean in the Chesapeake)

When you strip it back have the yard apply 2 coats of the best ablative you can find. Micron 66 is a poor choice for the Chesapeake because it bubbles and fails in brackish water. I use Micron Extra which is almost as good but can go in brackish/fresh water. Have the yard put a 3rd 12” wide coat at the waterline and the leading edge of the keel and rudder.

Rust is inevitable with an iron keel. It’s mostly cosmetic. Again, some year you should have the yard blast it and build up an epoxy coating - but it doesn’t have to be this year. They could just do a quick wire brush, spot prime and paint and it will be good enough for the season. And when you do it right, you’ll be lucky to go three years before you see rust again.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:22   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I've surveyed 128 Beneteaus. Only ever seen one with blisters and those were tiny and only in the gelcoat therefore strictly cosmetic.

Your boat certainly looks like it could use fresh boattom paint. I'd guess anyone suggesting more is probably taking you for a ride.

Moisture Meter Mythology and Flir thermal imager

Tags
boat