Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2017, 19:29   #16

Re: Oven next to fridge?

Usually the sink is between the oven and the fridge.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 20:40   #17

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Oven next to fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtgemini View Post
Yes, it is a problem... we had the issue and it was amazing how the radiation worked its way into the box in spite of 6'' of fair insulation. After I put a sheet of stainless between the fridge and stove the problem simply disappeared.

Initially, I had intended the plate to assist cleaning but the reduction of heat into the box was amazing.

I suspect some of the longer wavelength radiation goes straight through the insulation. ???

Ross
The longer wavelength is heat, which insulation is designed to stop. A good stove installation will include a SS sheet lining the plywood on either side of the oven. I guess this sheet reflects some heat back to the oven if it has a fine reflective finish.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:34   #18

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Oven next to fridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddythetwig View Post
Hey everyone. I've been looking for inspiration for a galley redesign, and I've noticed that in a lot of ships, the fridge is right up next to the oven. This seems like a bad idea... am I overthinking it, and the radiated heat from an oven won't really affect the fridge, or is it just an issue of not enough space for everything?

If you are starting on a new box... we made ours 2cu ft, and insulated to the tune of 7” thick, (but only 3” thick, utilizing vacuum panels), with a 100% air tight gasket. We also put it in the cabin sole of the “stern castle” on our Searunner trimaran, (a MUCH cooler place), which works great because this is a 1’ higher, raised floor.

It is far easier for folks sitting at the table to momentarily lift their feet, than for the cook to move everything off of the counter to open the fridge.

With this level of efficiency, we do quite well with an AIR cooled Sea Frost compressor, and our entire electrical load is < 40 AH per day, which we get from 270W of solar panels, which usually top up our batteries daily, by noon.

If being next to your oven works best for you, just put an extra vacuum panel in the space between them! A 1” thick panel = about 5” of urethane foam.

Tags
oven