Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2023, 08:52   #1

Oven problem - NO NOT THE NOZZLE.

The Admiral is on a new campaign to replace the old ENO oven. Yes, they're a piece of cr@p, but thats a big chunk of the maintenance budget that could go on boy toys...

Ring burners fine

'Horseshoe' oven burner fine from 1/2 way to the far end, but first 1/2 (from nozzle) is very fickle. Odd shape flames, goes out, comes back on, no reason. Closing door anything but slowly puts out the first 1/2.

So (in financial desperation) I ripped the thing apart, throughly cleaned the nozzle, cleaned out the Horseshoe, etc.

No damn change.

Help me guys, there's £1500 of useful boy purchases at stake here.... :-)

Papawads
Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 10:32   #2

Re: Oven problem - NO NOT THE NOZZLE.

I don't know what a 'boy purchase' is, but I certainly think you and I use the word 'boy toy' very differently.

The household oven vs your personal hobby and toy purchases?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 11:23   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Clean out the nozzle orifice with a welding torch tip cleaner. Worked on my Magma.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 11:44   #4

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

The door closing issue indicates that the burner orifices (not the gas nozzle) have become corroded and slightly enlarged. Closing the door increases the outer pressure momentarily and there is not enough internal gas pressure in the tube to maintain flame. Time for a new burner, certainly cheaper than an oven if available.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 14:14   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We'd try replacing the burner, too. It is the only part that has failed, and it can be replaced with any good burner with matching fittings. Remove the burner and take it to where they sell replacement burners for barbecues, if Eno can't send you one.

But, if you and your good lady use the oven a lot, as folks in cold climates often do, for roasted or baked dinners and bread and cakes, then I think whoever uses the oven most gets to choose. If you are not the baker or chef yourself, you really have little idea how very aggravating it can be to have to keep turning a pan so as to get even cooking heat under the product, and how easy it can be to burn the fruit cake or undercook the roast. Generally, stoves and ovens last a long time, and if by boy toys you're suggesting your wife can't use navigational equipment, you just might get a lot of blowback from that, too! If it's old enough, you might be able to source a burner for it in France. AT one time, we did that, but in New Caledonia. My old Eno was really possibly the best 2 burner stove I ever had. It worked great.

Ann
Old 28-08-2023, 22:02   #6

Loved all those replies :-)
New burner it is.
Thanks
Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven