Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2019, 20:18   #16

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44
Re: Overlaying 2 types of bottom paint

Yes off topic. Please start a new thread
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 21:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguabago View Post
Thanks for the insights. The original question is: Does it make any sense to use some currently owned soft bottom paint over the top of a newly applied hard bottom paint. Both layers would have antifouling capability.

Another way to state this question is: If you have some free-to-you, but expensive ablative paint, would applying over a new hard bottom paint make the overall bottom last longer or perform better?

I think I saw in the discussion an answer of “yes people do this”, but not sure that it was answering the question as stated above.
Maybe I am slow, but sounds like you want some one to tell you to do it........ or not. The major problem with that is that on this forum you will get multiple opinions....almost all contradictory.

If you want three opinions......just ask two sailors.

I am going to say yes....do it.....but only half the hull. You will at some point work out if it was the best way to go ,,,,or not.

Maybe keep the forum informed? Just an idea.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 01:17   #18

Thanks, but I was hoping to not have to experiment with Aguabago. I’m heading to the western pacific and it might be several years before the be able to be hauled out again. And like many people, hoping to make it last for 3+ years.
Old 17-02-2019, 03:07   #19

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

We frequently put ablative over hard paint on our cat. We put a lot of miles on the boat and often find ourselves in out of the way places when it is time to paint. As such, we are limited to using whatever type of paint and colors are available locally. In addition, we often have to go longer than I would like between haul outs because of lack of facilities. So I normally like to keep a couple coats of hard paint on the bottom with ablative over that. That way the paint does not build up too much and, if it is a long time between haul outs and the ablative is gone, we still have some paint on the hull. True, the hard paint is not very effective over time, but if I give it a scrape every month or so, it will last until the next time we can dry out.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:05   #20

Thanks. This is exactly the perspective that I am was asking about.
Old 19-02-2019, 16:42   #21

Boat: Ta Shing Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
What is the benefit of doing that? Your ablative will still be done in 18 months, and then what? Repaint again? If the hard paint beneath it doesn't do the job, why put it on at all? Conversely, if it does perform well, why use the ablative?
Ummm I think you just answered your own question... once the ablative paint is gone in 12 or 18 months your just starting on the hard... wont that make the hard last 18 months longer and since you have it kicking around.... I think he wants to know if there will be an issue that affects the reliability of the hard?
Mad Multi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint