Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2023, 15:00   #1

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
oxalic acid

here's one for all the chemists out there

like many boat owners, we use oxalic acid for removal of all sorts of stains esp rust and find the stuff is absolute gold

naturally we always mix in the appropriate strength of about 15% or say 100grams of the powder per liter of water. however i've always wondered about 2 things ;

- is there any common material on a boat that should NOT be sprayed with oxalic acid ie will be harmed by it ?

- if mixture is stronger - say double strength - what materials will be harmed and how ?

really looking for info from folk who know what they are talking about please. i already have enough uninformed opinions of my own !

cheers,
Old 15-10-2023, 15:04   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: oxalic acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
here's one for all the chemists out there

like many boat owners, we use oxalic acid for removal of all sorts of stains esp rust and find the stuff is absolute gold

naturally we always mix in the appropriate strength of about 15% or say 100grams of the powder per liter of water. however i've always wondered about 2 things ;

- is there any common material on a boat that should NOT be sprayed with oxalic acid ie will be harmed by it ?

- if mixture is stronger - say double strength - what materials will be harmed and how ?

really looking for info from folk who know what they are talking about please. i already have enough uninformed opinions of my own !

cheers,

a. Google "chemical compatibility table" and look for the materials of interest.

b. Increasing the concentration, past a point, will not help. The pH is already at a minimum. This is true of many cleaners. It's just a waste of money, and it can make things worse, in part because there is more to neutralize when you are finished. 15% is probably stronger than you need.