Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2021, 10:29   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch
Paceship 14 - rigging with gaff and bowsprit

This is a refit from scrap material, and the sails are cut from a 34' sloop mainsail. The mainsail is from the bottom half of it, the jib is from the top.

Trying to figure out how to flatten out the mainsail, so that I dont end up with an "auto capsize' sail. This is what I eyeballed, but it needs to be fitted more, mainly in the head. I know that the sail is old and stretched so that's my #1 problem with trying to flatten it, but I think I can get something to work for winds under 15 knots. My first thought is to shorten the luff to remove the looseness in the throat area, and then cut a slight curve in the head and lash the sail to the gaff. I'm unsure if a loose head would be a bad idea.

The mainsail draws really well, actually, but as it is now (in the picture) I am sure it will be waaaay to powerful in any wind above 8 knots. Before I sew in reef points I want to flatten the sail as much as possible.

Side note:
I added two sets of shrouds and running backstays made from 1/4" amsteel blue. I will be staying out the bowsprit, and adding the rest of the deadeyes to the shrouds. I think the rig will withstand the sail area increase just fine, but I do wonder about how fast she'll want to roll over in a gust..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210619_160613976_HDR.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	240671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210619_160755110_HDR.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	240672  

DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 07:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Paceship 14 - rigging with gaff and bowsprit

I'm seeing a bunch of basic physics problems that suggest that it would be wise for you to wear a Type 1 jacket when testing this rig. Yeah, I did stuff like that to my pocket rocket, too, but I was 16 at the time.

Yeah. That much jib that far forward suggests she will plow her nose into the water on the lee side when you get too much wind behind it. That much main that far from the mast is knock-down eligible. That gaff is putting a novel force on the mast. A jibe could be scary if not de-corticating.

So, it could go like the bejabbers and be fun, but it could get out of control or break something pretty easily.

Remenber that your hull was not designed for a gaff rig with bowsprit. Those hulls had depth and stability, while yours is shallow, round, and stabilized only by the centerboard and your shifting weight. You'll need more weight, and you'll need to move fast to counter the lateral arm.

Someone with more rigging experience than me may be able to make specific suggestions.
Old 25-06-2021, 08:27   #3

Boat: Alberg 30, Magellan 36 Ketch
Re: Paceship 14 - rigging with gaff and bowsprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I'm seeing a bunch of basic physics problems that suggest that it would be wise for you to wear a Type 1 jacket when testing this rig. Yeah, I did stuff like that to my pocket rocket, too, but I was 16 at the time.

Yeah. That much jib that far forward suggests she will plow her nose into the water on the lee side when you get too much wind behind it. That much main that far from the mast is knock-down eligible. That gaff is putting a novel force on the mast. A jibe could be scary if not de-corticating.

So, it could go like the bejabbers and be fun, but it could get out of control or break something pretty easily.

Remenber that your hull was not designed for a gaff rig with bowsprit. Those hulls had depth and stability, while yours is shallow, round, and stabilized only by the centerboard and your shifting weight. You'll need more weight, and you'll need to move fast to counter the lateral arm.

Someone with more rigging experience than me may be able to make specific suggestions.

Thank you for your input!
This is one of those "lets just try it" projects, and Im thinking the reefs I sew in will probably end up being pretty permanent.
I appreciate your food for thought!
DanielPerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowsprit, rigging