Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2023, 09:33   #16

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Padlocks - Code or Key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
If someone is willing to cut a lock to get in, on most boats it’s easier to simply insert a big screwdriver behind the hasp and pry it off. Or pry a hatch open.

In both cases they’ll probably do substantial damage to woodwork or fiberglass.
Yeah if your lock is on a hasp with a few #6 screws holding it on, it's not really locked.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 10:29   #17

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColourfulOwl View Post
What's the thoughts when it comes to using padlocks on a sailboat?

At present, I reluctantly lock my boat. There are locks for the companionway and three cockpit lockers. I left my previous boats unlocked.

As pointed out upthread, it is nearly impossible to achieve meaningful security. Nonetheless, having the boat locked furthers a number of important goals:
  • There will be clear, physical evidence in the event of intrusion, which in practice is necessary for a successful insurance claim if items are stolen.
  • When boarding the boat, the intact locks provide assurance that nothing has been removed, tampered with, or conversely stowed away, without having to conduct an inventory of the entire boat to be sure that the flares, rum, binocs, winch handles, etc. are all still there and that there's no one in the quarterberth.
  • Despite the ease with which locks can be bypassed their presence will nonetheless deter some percentage of contemplated thefts, trysts, parties, etc.
  • You can give a key to a friend, relative, or mechanic, and others will see this as the clearest possible evidence that they have your permission to be aboard.
Any combination lock on the market today for less than $300 can be opened without damaging the lock by a person with minimal skill with readily available tools. Also you can loan someone a key for 10 minutes or a week and when they give it back they lose access. So I use keyed locks.

Quote:

Anyone got any recommendations for locks?

I buy used SFIC padlocks and get cores for them from a locksmith. They are available in a variety of sizes and makers and can be easily keyed alike and set up to match door locks, cabinet locks, etc. Mine match the front door lock on my house and are also set up with a boat-only key that I give to marinas and mechanics that need it. Most locksmiths can't pick them though it's possible with some specialized tools. Not terribly expensive if you shop although it's more of a project than most people want. Easy to oil the mechanism without oiling the pins so they hold up well (the solid brass ones at least) for marine use.

For a more off-the-shelf padlock I would recommend the Abus locks. Use the biggest ones that will fit the hasps that you have -- use the shank of a drill bit to measure and see what sizes will fit. You can order Abus locks from many online sources and get however many you need keyed alike as long as they are all the same size. They are available in brass and aluminum, you want brass.
Old 17-07-2023, 11:14   #18

Boat: Alerion Express 28

The problem with combos is you can't read the numbers at night without a flashlight. I switched to a key.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2023, 11:23   #19

Boat: Morgan 382

More important that code or key (both of which can easily be opened by someone without the key or code) is the quality of the lock.

I have some brass padlocks from Abus (both key and code type) that have never needed any cleaning or lubrication in many years. Every lock from Master, even the "brass" locks, need a bit of WD40 every couple months. I've since tossed them all in the trash.

If you have a lock and ever need to lubricated it, look at the Abus locks.
https://mobil.abus.com/usa/Products/...ication/Marine

A always set me codelocks to the same code when I lock them, so unless someone has messed with them I can open them blind.
Old 17-07-2023, 11:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN2140 View Post
The problem with combos is you can't read the numbers at night without a flashlight. I switched to a key.

That's certainly true for locks with a combination dial.

Most locks with several (usually 4) rotating number wheels, they can be operated in the dark, because they lock at 0 when rotated backwards.
Old 17-07-2023, 11:48   #21

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I bought a set of brass (or maybe bronze, I never checked) locks, all keyed alike. They're not expensive, and they hold up to the salt environment surprisingly well.

The one thing I miss is the laminated "Master" brand steel locks often have a rubbery ring at the bottom so they don't leave a mark on the gel coat when you're fiddling with them. I haven't seen a brass lock with that feature. But now that I went and looked, Master does make "outdoor" models of stainless steel. I can't vouch for them, but they're probably worth a try.

Take a couple wraps of self-amalgamating tape around them right at the bottom edge.
Old 21-07-2023, 07:04   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We’ve tossed all ordinary brass locks for 100% SS. Occasionally soak in fresh water, dry and oil. I’ve never had to cut one off as I have had to with others. Combination wheels make me nervous.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:08   #23

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42

If you see some of the master lock videos by you tubers lock locking lawyer, you will be well informed.

I use a kwikset padlock. It is immune to a rake attack, it's a bit more difficult to pick, and one key can be programed by the user for all locks.
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:46   #24

Boat: Catalina 30

Dont lock the boat. As stated if someone wants in, the hasp is history, and the hatch board gets wrecked.

Marina has good security also.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:54   #25
Marine Service Provider

Locks only keep out honest people!
billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 08:00   #26

I generally prefer padlocks; combination locks can be a right fiddle. Many years ago I got a set of 5 French Euro Marino padlocks (which are actually brass not inox); they all have identical keys. Very useful, one key for the hatch, lockers dinghy etc. Not sure how widely they are available now but someone must sell identical sets.
IanTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 08:01   #27

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by billreilly View Post
Illogical.
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 08:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by billreilly View Post
An old saying that has never been true. Like many purported aphorisms, it serves as a substitute for reasoned discussion.

The fact that locks can be defeated in various ways does not make them broadly and entirely ineffective. In many cases even relatively easy-to-defeat locks deter casual theft.
Old 21-07-2023, 08:46   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 38 MkII

I've had a couple of Abus bronze combo locks since 2004 on 4 different boats or outdoor storage sheds. They are exposed to salt areas 24/7. I hit them with white lithium spray grease every few years. Never a problem, other than my aging eyes. But I tend to have my readers more often than a key when I need it. The Indiglo light on my Timex watch lights it up just enough to see.
searenity38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 10:01   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Dont lock the boat. As stated if someone wants in, the hasp is history, and the hatch board gets wrecked.

Marina has good security also.
Must lock the dinghy.

Don’t go where theft is high. We’ve had to lock in St Martin, Marigo harbor.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote