Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2012, 17:30   #1

Paint Job for My Boat

Hi my name is Ricky and I am so new to this lol! I just bought a C&C 27 and it need the bottom to be cleaned and boat needs to be re-painted.. the Paint looks worn out.

I live in the DC, MD, VA area, does anyone know the cost of getting it halled out the water and getting the boat bottom re-painted and hull painted also?
NaturalMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 18:56   #2

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Re: Paint Job for my boat

Ricky if your talking about the top sides alone and not the decks and non skid your probably in the 6-8 thousand range. This is what I do for a living on Long Island, so I imagine your cost on the east coast would be pretty close to NY. Try to find a yard that has their own good painter/body glass guy, then you can probably get a package deal on geting haulked blocked painted and put back in. If you get a guy outside the yard the standard upcharge is 20% to the yard, so if your bill is 10 form the painter it will really be twelve by the time the yard gets their piece.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 18:57   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I hope you are prepared for sticker shock, I got a bid for my previous boat that wasn't bad, it needed a bottom job and sides repainted, it was 30ft, they wanted $225.00 a ft. I decieded I didn't mind the paint so bad after that. So I polished the sides and did the bottom myself for a $1000.00.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 18:58   #4

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

That is getting hauled
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 04:23   #5

WTH? Lol!! 225 / ft wow!!! I am thinking it might have to get hauled also. To much. I will have to do it myself and treat some friends with beer and food to help out. Thanks everyone!!!
Old 16-01-2012, 06:23   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Paint Job for My Boat

Start learning the roll and tip method. Then find a do it yourself yard!
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:42   #7

You are so right!!
Old 16-01-2012, 07:22   #8

Boat: csy 37

ricky, those prices may be standard in the northeast, but here in daytona beach we have an excellent painter who charges a whole lot less. like $100 a foot. add to that the cost of haulout and daily storage - couple of hundred dollars, and it's almost worth not doing it yourself. he uses awlgrip, considered to be one of the best paints.

he just did our club's pearson 30 for $3000. did a really great job. if you can wait till you get here, email me.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:27   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Ricky, I like your thoughts about the beer and hotdogs, but if you want a job that your going to be proud of its going to take a little more than that. SV.Lone star is correct, you are going to have to find a do it yourself yard, that will pull the boat and set it up, Most yards are going to charge around $500 for that, that includes putting it back in the water. Then they are going to charge so much per/day that it is out of the water. You are going to need tools, paint, sandpaper, and everything else, The cost of Awl grip paint alone will be at least $1000.00 bucks if you do it right with primmer. This will be no easy overnight job. There is also the roll and tip methed which is easy to learn, but you need to practice it before you start on your boat. There are tons of videos on this, just google it and you will see. Make sure you have your ducks in a row before you start the project. If you have a friend that has done something like this before pay him or her to help, it will make your life and job much better. Hope this helps, good luck.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:49   #10

Thanks guys!!! 100 / ft is fair. my boat is in MD right now and really want to get it done here.

I glad you like me beer and hotdog idea lol!! But to tell the trurh I have no problem paying someone to help me. Besides the only way I cam learn is doing rhe job with someone.

If any of you know anyone who wants to make some money on the side let me know
Old 16-01-2012, 07:53   #11

Lol!! By the way Im using my cell to reply and my spelling is 3rd grade because of me rushing and fat fingers lol!

Please excuse my spelling
Old 16-01-2012, 08:29   #12

check out the current thread on 'polishing Linear Poly paint' alot of info on DIY vs having a pro paint.

just depends on your experience level and what final results you are willing to accept.

Price can run anywhere from $500-$30k

good luck
isobelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 08:31   #13

Thank you I will
Old 19-05-2015, 11:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
ricky, those prices may be standard in the northeast, but here in daytona beach we have an excellent painter who charges a whole lot less. like $100 a foot. add to that the cost of haulout and daily storage - couple of hundred dollars, and it's almost worth not doing it yourself. he uses awlgrip, considered to be one of the best paints.

he just did our club's pearson 30 for $3000. did a really great job. if you can wait till you get here, email me.

Trying to find out who does boat restoration in Daytona beach area that was supposed to be around $100 per foot. Thanks for your help
Houseboatmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 15:31   #15

Do it yourself. Roll and maybe tip, get a mohair roller. Thin the paint out a bit and it will look great. Bright side. 4-5 coats.

Christian Gould
St. Paul, MN
S/V Sea Dog
Apostle Islands Lake Superior
ketchcng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint