Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2023, 06:30   #1

Boat: Jefferson Rivanna 48 ACMY
Paint Matching Challenge

I've been trying to match paint colors to do some touch-ups with Interlux Brightside polyurethane paint. I have the Off White #4381 and mixing in various proportions with the White #4359. I can't seem to get it right. I think the problem is that the colors I am using give a slightly bluish finish while my boat (1998 Jefferson Rivanna) needs a more tan/yellow/beige hue. Next stop will be to try the Hatteras whites shown on the color palettes but there are two so which one?
Anyone have experience with this or a suggestion?
Bassman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 06:56   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Paint Matching Challenge

Is the tan/yellow/beige hue there because the original paint has been out in the sun for a bit? Living with the "blueish finish" util it ages some may end up with the best result. Trying to match the existing color "now" may result in the new paint changing color later to something somewhat different. Especially if you change brands.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 07:22   #3

Thanks for the advice. It's an old boat so some "yellowing" over time can be expected. The spots I am working on though are inside the bridge and aft deck where sun hits it for some periods during the day but not excessively. I am probably just being too fussy but I'm willing to keep at it.
Old 21-11-2023, 08:57   #4

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Personally, I would tint the paint if trying to match and touch up.

Send Interlux a message and ask what Poly tints they recommend. Watch some videos on paint tinting and start with small drops. My best advice is that paint always dries a slightly darker shade than when it's wet, so tinting a bit lighter shade to start is best.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 10:39   #5

Ahhhh. Never thought of tinting. Thanks.

Tags
paint