Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2023, 06:48   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Paint thickener??

I have to touch up a few areas. Yes I can mix and spray out of small bottles. But that’s more risky for chemical exposure as well as gets a lot in the environment.

For little touchups, rolling would be great.

however, my paint only comes with a spray reducer. No roller reducer.

Isn’t there something you can buy to add to the paint to thicken it a little bit? So that it can be rolled?

The boat bum life is not really passable as you get more and more north. Have to start looking more yachty
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 07:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Paint thickener??

‘Google’ < Polyurethane paint Thickener >
https://www.google.ca/search?q=+Poly...t=gws-wiz-serp

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 07:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
‘Google’ < Polyurethane paint Thickener >
https://www.google.ca/search?q=+Poly...t=gws-wiz-serp
I googled that myself, but it looked questionable. I was looking for people with some experience with this stuff. Someone who may have used this before. Or something like it.
Old 13-07-2023, 07:39   #4

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Tell me the brand of paint and what type it is and exactly what you want to do and I'll tell you.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 08:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Tell me the brand of paint and what type it is and exactly what you want to do and I'll tell you.
The paint is called Nason. It's a 2 part linear polyurethane available in the USA automotive industry. It's similar to Imron by Dupont.

I have the spray reducer. since it is primarily an automotive paint it is always sprayed. They don’t have a roller reducer. there is no call for it in the automotive industry.

in this case, I don’t care how it looks from 1 meter away. I’m concerned with the 20 meter look.

I just want to make things look even for now so it’s not such an eyesore

This is the paint:

https://products.axaltacs.com/dcat/u...8?desktop=true

I used the Ful-Thane product because it's more durable.

I sprayed the entire boat, and it was BEAUTIFUL, but it took hurricane damage. People did a bad job working on it, etc. It used to be perfect. Now it looks like garbage.

The goal here is just to simply roll some paint on so that the colors match and it looks OK from a distance. it has a mottled/patchwork look right now. just matching the colors would make it work well enough to get by.

And currently I have the spray reducer so it’s like water. Maybe like 1% milk. I need it to thicken up to a normal roller paint consistency so it stays on a brush or roller to just roll it on.

Note: I used this paint for my original nonskid before they destroyed that as well. I just mixed in cabosil into it, making nice little peaks on the deck. just like Kiwi grip but way, way cheaper and more durable. That was one way to thicken it but I imagine there is a better more liquid type of way
Old 13-07-2023, 09:11   #6

Boat: center console

This paint sounds a lot like the Industrial Imron I used many years ago to roll & tip a 34' Mainship. It came out great. Use the spray reducer, just less of it.
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 09:26   #7

Alternatively, is there a different paint that will last me two seasons?

But one that will be able to perfectly computer match the color of the boat?
Old 13-07-2023, 09:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
This paint sounds a lot like the Industrial Imron I used many years ago to roll & tip a 34' Mainship. It came out great. Use the spray reducer, just less of it.
This confuses me a little bit. The base of the paint is like water. The reducer is like water. I’m not sure that using less reducer would make it thicker. Would it?
Old 13-07-2023, 09:33   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Alternatively, is there a different paint that will last me two seasons?

But one that will be able to perfectly computer match the color of the boat?
That might be a question for a local paint shop. As long as it'll fade similarly, they may be able to mix something DIY friendly but still long lasting like Alexseal to match the existing color you have on the boat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 09:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That might be a question for a local paint shop. As long as it'll fade similarly, they may be able to mix something DIY friendly but still long lasting like Alexseal to match the existing color you have on the boat.

That’s kind of it. It doesn’t really have to last. I need to redo the entire exterior at some point here. But I guess I will ask locally to see you.
Old 13-07-2023, 09:45   #11

Quote:
That’s kind of it. It doesn’t really have to last. I need to redo the entire exterior at some point here. But I guess I will ask locally to see you.
It may not need to last, but if the repair gets you experience with a product that you may want to use for the full re-do, that's probably a good thing. And Alexseal came out with an additive that allows it to just be rolled on (no tipping) and still look good.
Old 13-07-2023, 09:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It may not need to last, but if the repair gets you experience with a product that you may want to use for the full re-do, that's probably a good thing. And Alexseal came out with an additive that allows it to just be rolled on (no tipping) and still look good.
yeah, but I don’t want to pay for that. It’s only paint. It’s ridiculous. It’s another one of those marine things that isn’t even marine. It’s just two part linear polyurethane paint.

I don’t see any reason to buy the typical boat brands. They are no better.

just picture of the hood of your car. How does it last near the beach? And it’s made of metal. that’s all the paint is. It’s way over priced when it’s marketed for boats.
Old 13-07-2023, 09:58   #13

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
This confuses me a little bit. The base of the paint is like water. The reducer is like water. I’m not sure that using less reducer would make it thicker. Would it?
Probably just slows the reaction. For brush you want it slow so the marks flow out. For spray you want it faster.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2023, 10:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Probably just slows the reaction. For brush you want it slow so the marks flow out. For spray you want it faster.

oh, that’s not it. I don’t need to change the reaction speed. That’s not the problem. I need to thicken the paint. So that it sticks to a roller.

The paint is like water because it’s for spray guns
Old 13-07-2023, 10:12   #15

Quote:
yeah, but I don’t want to pay for that. It’s only paint. It’s ridiculous. It’s another one of those marine things that isn’t even marine. It’s just two part linear polyurethane paint.

I don’t see any reason to buy the typical boat brands. They are no better.

just picture of the hood of your car. How does it last near the beach? And it’s made of metal. that’s all the paint is. It’s way over priced when it’s marketed for boats.
I agree, if there's a suitable non-marine product, there's no reason not to use it. But if the suitable non-marine stuff is all meant to be sprayed, the reduced costs (and increased DIY ability) with being able to just roll the stuff on may be worth using more expensive paint.

Tags
paint