Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 13:13   #1

Boat: charley morgan-38
Painting deck

Its time or close too it, for the big project,using interlux primekote 2 part ,and interlux 2 part paint,, my deck is nearly all non skid, or at least 80 per cent. I was going to use kiwi grip for the non skid..Should I do the non skid first, OR,do the smooth part first?..oh its going to be 2 different colors..Thanks in advance..
BLACKBIRD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 13:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Painting deck

Logic would tell me to paint the smooth first: the tape to separate the two areas will stick much better to the smooth paint than the textured.

However, logic and experience don't always agree.
Old 27-09-2015, 01:26   #3

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Logic would tell me to paint the smooth first: the tape to separate the two areas will stick much better to the smooth paint than the textured.

However, logic and experience don't always agree.
Agreed on this. We painted our entire deck white in Jotun 2 pack polyurethane, then I taped off the non-skid sections, painted a different colour Jotun 2 pack, sprinkled on the fine non-skid grit, vacuumed off the excess, then painted two more coats of the 2 pack. Let it dry for a day or two, remove the tape, voila! All done.

Ours is still going strong a few years later, although can be a bit of a PITA to clean as it shreds sponges. Quite grippy in a seaway tho.

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 19:45   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Agreed on this. We painted our entire deck white in Jotun 2 pack polyurethane, then I taped off the non-skid sections, painted a different colour Jotun 2 pack, sprinkled on the fine non-skid grit, vacuumed off the excess, then painted two more coats of the 2 pack. Let it dry for a day or two, remove the tape, voila! All done.

Ours is still going strong a few years later, although can be a bit of a PITA to clean as it shreds sponges. Quite grippy in a seaway tho.

n
I assume you sanded down both the flat and the non-skid before reapplying as primer coat?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 00:04   #5

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I assume you sanded down both the flat and the non-skid before reapplying as primer coat?
No, we started from bare steel, applied the primer, did the overall coat, then applied the non-skid and overcoated.

Overcoating within the 48 hour window allowed for chemical adhesion, meaning we didn't need to sand between coats. About the only way to sand off non-skid is with an angle grinder.....

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint