Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2022, 16:35   #1

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Painting Edson Pedestal - need substitute for Viny-Lux Prime Wash

Forgive my ignorance when it comes to painting, and especially when it comes to painting metal - but I need to repaint part of my (Edson) pedestal, and one of the ingredients in the recipe seems to be no longer available.

I found the instructions online from Edson for repainting their pedestals. (https://edsonmarine.com/content/EB%2...structions.pdf) - I'm looking at the second part of the document where it says "Improved Repair System or Total Re-Coat".

• Immediately apply 1 thin coat of Interlux #353/354 Viny-Lux Prime Wash thinned 25% with Interlux #355 Viny-Lux Solvent to all bare aluminum.

This is supposed to be the first treatment of the metal after it is brought down to bare aluminum and cleaned (*using Interlux #202 Solvent Wash). I think it does some kind of etching of the alum to prepare if for the epoxy primer coat (Interlux Epoxy Primekote), which is then followed with two coats of white paint (Interlux Perfection White).

All the other components are available.

SO, first question: Is there another treatment I could substitute for the Vinyl-Lux Prime Wash and still use the rest of this program?

Second question: Is there a substitute for the 202 Solvent wash, like maybe acetone, so I can avoid buying yet another solvent?

THANKS!
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 17:00   #2

Re: Painting Edson Pedestal - need substitute for Viny-Lux Prime Wash

I did our mast and boom back in 2015 with their products ! I would contact Interlux to see what they suggest now ! They were quite helpful when I asked them questions back then !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edson, paint, pedestal