Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 18:02   #1

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Painting fake wood veneer?

I'm not in a position to post a picture of the stuff I'm talking about but I suspect most of you know what I'm referring to. The Herreshoff Eagle I'm restoring has some nice real wood below but it also has the fake wood grain veneer in a number of spots. No offense to anyone who has that stuff and I know it's in a ton of boats, but I've never cared for it. My recently deceased father in law had it in two new Pearson 365's back in the late 70's and early 80's and I never understood the heavy use of this material in what I thought of as a really nice boats otherwise.

If I rough this stuff up and prime then paint will it probably hold a finish? If so I think I'll paint it white, which in a small cabin might seem to open it up more as well. If not I'm tempted to just make new ones I can paint.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 18:22   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Painting fake wood veneer?

Ours is the same stuff.....akin to a wood grain Formica.

It has been painted for as long as we've owned the boat (6 years) and shows no sign of letting go. The PO used an interlux product on it after sanding the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint