Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2016, 16:52   #31

Re: Painting Over Teak

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Not if you want your drop boards to still fit! 2x1/16" veneers = 1/8" fatter drop board. Will likely not fit and/or jam.
You should only need to reface the outer surface and the sanding will remove the added 1/16th of an inch. Ive done it twice now without problem.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 04:31   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
i am sick of treating my teak---i have a ton of it on my 41 ft defever trawler. i would like to paint over the bristol finish that is on there now and need help. i plan to use something like awlgrip or interlux or similar and wonder if anyone has tips/ideas/methods of application/etc. i saw a grand banks that had done it and it gave it a much more modern look without all the work involved of refinishing the teak so often. anyone got ideas??
Yes there is a product that will go over your bristol teak and give you a break from the endless maintenance that goes along with keeping your teak up. I have a ton of teak as well on my IT 40, and I have been very happy with using Awlgrip's Awlwood product. It's a cLear coating that lasts for around two years between service coats. I redo mine every year to keep the bristol look but it's better than putting on a maintenance coat of varnish every three months..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 05:12   #33

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Great information for future referance. The Cape Dory's are a beautiful boat and I'm not at that point yet as I still like the look of the teak. There's really not that much on the CD36
I just added a Baku wood box to the cock pit. It's more oily than teak and looks better varnished. I salvaged the wood from a clients deck refit. I hope I don't regret it, but I suppose it would still look good painted white in a few years when I get tired of the varnish upkeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4230.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	136480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	136481  

SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 22:05   #34

Boat: 74 Tartan 34

I too am at the point of painting my teak. I just dont have the energy to do it. The sun in SW Florida eats everything. Varnish does not last.
But I h ave made my decision. That is why I found this thread.

I just want to know if anyone might recommend what paint and color I might use for my teak. I have a Tartan 34 with a teak toe rail and coaming boards. (hand rails too)

I am looking for as close to a wood or teak look I can get.
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 22:35   #35

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

If you want to get an idea of how proposed changes will look on your boat, you can take pictures of the boat and make prints, then doctor up the prints.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 23:30   #36

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Whatever you do, do not pain over varnish. Varnish is basically oil with dryer in it. Very bad for a base coat. You will be repainting it again soon unless you treat the teak properly. Also teak is really oily as we all know, so it needs to be sanded to bare wood, then treated with solvent and sealer. Then primer and lastly paint.
Old 21-01-2017, 02:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
i am sick of treating my teak---i have a ton of it on my 41 ft defever trawler. i would like to paint over the bristol finish that is on there now and need help. i plan to use something like awlgrip or interlux or similar and wonder if anyone has tips/ideas/methods of application/etc. i saw a grand banks that had done it and it gave it a much more modern look without all the work involved of refinishing the teak so often. anyone got ideas??
I also have tons of teak on my IT 40 and understand what it's like to be sick and tired of varnishing. There is a paint that can give you a year in-between treatments (awlgrip says more) and it looks wonderful. If your varnish is good, buy some awlwood clear which is a two part clear coating that works well over cured varnish. Two coats and you're good for a year. It's not cheap, but works great.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote