Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 05:54   #76
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Payload for Small Boat Cruising?

Of course, IMHO, modest multihulls make the ultimate Chesapeake/coastal exploration boats. How many monohulls can visit every harbor, run the Virginia inside passage, and sail over 10 knots? Shallow draft rules!

The ability to pack light is a useful trait.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:51   #77

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Light-displacement boats are not always very sturdy, and having been to sea on an Ericson 36, I can testify that I'll never go to sea on a boat like that again."
Ben

Ben,
Can you tell us what exactly you didn't like about the E36 at sea and why you wouldn't "go to sea on a boat like that again"? There is no argument that some LD boats are not very sturdy, but builders like Ericson, Cal, and Pearson built very respectable boats for the money and sail very well. And, with a few upgrades and modifications, can become very respectable "sea" boats as their prolific adventures attest. The E30 Evans mentioned is a beautiful boat that sails well and has good storage for extended time at sea. It was built to sail, not sit in a crowded anchorage with old salts telling tales. When we bought our P 34-2, I was also looking at Ericsons and Cals in the 30-32 foot range. I know I would have been happy with any of them but the Pearson, although slightly longer, was the one that sang the loudest.
Old 16-10-2014, 14:47   #78

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Of course, IMHO, modest multihulls make the ultimate Chesapeake/coastal exploration boats. How many monohulls can visit every harbor, run the Virginia inside passage, and sail over 10 knots? Shallow draft rules!

The ability to pack light is a useful trait.
Loved running away from monos and watch the balloons go up. Or going into inlets when those at the beaches thinking you where crazier than a **** house rat. They all came by way of the ICW. Putting out a stern anchor and one on the beach is fun, being able to step on or off board. Just didn't have the fun with monos.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 03:49   #79

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Evans

Just to toss a different boat at you - have you considered the Albin Ballad (30ft) or the Albin Nova (33ft)?

Albins are generally considered to be strong boats (I believe a guy from the US recently completed a north/south circumnaviation of the americas in a Albin Vega (27ft).

Lots of them for sale at around $50-60k and you'd have lots of money for trinkets/toys or serious add-ons

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:22   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ Thanks. I am familiar with the Albins, And in fact Matt Rutherford (who took the vega around the Americas) is a good friend (its a small community). I would suggest the fact that boat got around is more a testimony to Matt's skills and tensity than to the boat's qualities. He reminds me of a young Webb Chiles - a real hard man with outstanding seamanship.

I have a very good idea what I want to do IF I go with a 'conventional' design, but what I am hoping and still exploring is that I will be able to use something much more modern/lighter/faster, which will teach me more lessons.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 13:14   #81

Re: Payload for small boat cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Hey hey hey us stubborn Americans don't need to convert to metric. We like our imperial measurements right where the are Besides we have learned that the rest of the world eventually bends to us as long as you have enough money.

Every foreign country I've traveled to (which isn't a ton but enough) has plenty of people that speak English and can cater to my needs. Air traffic all over the word is regulated in English, every time I've "needed" to spend money in a foreign land people miraculously started to speak English and the few places I've run into where no one speaks English are always (well almost always) willing to play charades with you to figure out what you want as long as money is involved. Offer someone money to give you directions and the language barrier gets much smaller.
Yep, but a factor of ten makes a hell of a lot more sense.
Old 17-10-2014, 13:36   #82
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Payload for Small Boat Cruising?

Lived aboard a 31ft Longbow for four years cruising the Atlantic coast of Spain, and Portugal then into the Med.. did not weigh a damn thing.. even the 25L jugs of red and white wine we bought now and then from Bodega's along the way.. just carried what we needed at the time..
Life's to short for obsessions like that..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 14:17   #83

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Imperial Pint or 5 deciliters; either is fine so long as it's good beer.

One oddball question: Is it worthwhile to know how much variation there is in actual boat weight, with some builders not always being precise with control of their production process? It might almost seem less than productive to worry about small differences in gear on board if the same boat model basic hulls vary by hundreds of pounds (or kilos or stones or whatever).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._graph.svg.png
Old 17-10-2014, 14:19   #84

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

, besides the 20 lbs. of onions. ;-)

Ann

Eeek! Is that compulsory?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-10-2014, 14:24   #85

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
POUNDS PER INCH IMMERSION (PPI):
The weight required to sink the yacht one inch.
It is calculated by multiplying the LWL area* by 5.333 for sea water or 5.2 for fresh.
The PPI usually increases as the hull sinks into the water as the LWL area is also increasing due to the shape of the hull above water.

* WATERLINE AREA:
The area of the LWL, usually expressed in square feet.
It is not always easily obtained but can be calculated roughly for a sailboat by the formula :
0.67 x LWL x Beam.
It is more accurate if you have the Beam WL rather than the Beam(Max), of course.

From Ted Brewer ➥ Ted Brewer Yacht Design

Geez, just applied this formula to our boat. It has gone up at least three inches since we bought her and that tells me we have removed nearly two (metric) tons from her.

I wonder is some of that stuff was important...?

Old 17-10-2014, 14:39   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
We simply can't eat off plastic plates, it makes us both gag, literally. We started out with that crap, but then brought some older family china dinner plates and bowls onboard, knock on wood they're still there, carefully stowed.

In reading about cooking on other threads, it seems to me that there are many gourmet cooks and folks who love their "utensils & gear" to some amazing lengths, not even including breadmakers! We've got three pots, two saucepans and the regular kitchen utensils like spatulas and knives. The pressure cooker is optional!

I'm not sure what more one needs, especially when I read about newer boats the same size as ours where the new skippers or their wives rant about the lack of storage space when indeed they have twice as much as we do. What can they possibly need? This is NOT a rhetorical question, perhaps you can enlighten me.

Yup, stuff tends to creep in, but most of my "creepy" stuff is spares and I'm only a coastal cruiser, but when hanging out in Drakes Bay along the coast, or even in the California Delta, one could be as far away from replacement parts as any long distance cruiser.

I don't have any difficulty translating metric and English units, 'cuz I can remember 2.54 pretty easily. I do, however, get horribly confused with pints, ounces, quarts and gallons!!! How can you tell I was never a good cook!

We've had our boat 16 years now, still floating somewhat above her waterline.
What on earth is 2.54 for probably your speedometer?. We don't have anything as a constant. 12" to foot, three feet to a yard, etc. etc. At least base ten makes sense. Must save a lot of learning in grade school?
Old 17-10-2014, 14:55   #87

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Eeek! Is that compulsory?

Well, you could have said, Leek!

But better leeks than leaks!
Old 17-10-2014, 15:02   #88

more weight, longer waterline,; faster boat.... Just depends on how much sail the skipper is willing to carry...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 15:25   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I rest my case concerning medieval measurements,the rest of the world has moved on and are now using metric measurments
Like English statute miles, the only measurement used on UK roads? Not a kilometer in sight, nor any km/h . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 15:30   #90

Some people are anal about straight lines, numbers that only are multiples of ten etc. These same people design neighborhoods that looks like perfectly laid out little squares with no character. They are probably uncomfortable on curved little streets in Italy with cafes etc.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, loa