Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 18:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Petit Sea Gold over varnish?

Ok with everything going on my local WM ran out of Epiphanes varnish. Has anyone used the pettit sea gold product? It is water based but it was the only gloss they had left.. Can I put it over varnish? Has anyone used this stuff. It seems to have good reviews.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 19:39   #2

Re: Petit Sea Gold over varnish?

Depends on how upset you'll be if it fails? Is it inside and therefore exposed to less thermal changes? ... I started to say some other stuff but quick look on the website says yes? Pettit | SeaGold
I wouldn't put it over fresh varnish though, you want all of the varnish solvents gone.
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 19:44   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

amazon has great prices for epifanes.
Old 03-08-2020, 19:48   #4

Boat: 32’ Sloop

This is right up there with “I know a short cut”

I wouldn’t mix systems unless the makers of the paint say it’s ok.

Even then, I wouldn’t.

Just order off amazon or go to another WM
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:13   #5

Have to be ready by Friday. No Time for Amazon. Maybe another WM.

Thanks for the link Warby. I was going to call this AM and ask. My Varnish is 3 years old so I think if I scuff with 150 I should be ok. Anyway, going to try a small section and see what happens. Wish me luck.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:26   #6

Boat: Fuji 35 ketch

I have a little experience with the Petit Sea Gold the non-gloss. i live in SE Alaska which is in a rain forest so difficult to find a string of days without rain. The Sea gold appears to last well easy to apply. However what it does in the sun ? You must try it on a small section of teak to see if you like the color. You don't get the rich brown Teak color. Its more of a blond light color. In my case i did not like that because I had all the Teak on my boat the same color ( Fuji 35 ketch with too much teak for me to keep well). When a segment of my toe rail needed to be refinished I sanded to bare wood and applied the Sea Gold. I ended up with two different colors on the same toe rail. Some a light blond and some rich brown. I decided to remove the Sea Gold after a season or two of use. It was looking good finish wise. To remove it I thought I had sanded to bare wood but it is difficult to determine if you have removed all of it. W hen I re-varnished I now have a few blond shadows. I am going to try it on Teak where there would only be one product used and not next to a varnished area.
JON REISWIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:43   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
Have to be ready by Friday. No Time for Amazon. Maybe another WM.
Really?! How about stop the project and leave it like it is until you can find time and dedication for it again while ordering the materials you need?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:43   #8

OK I Put the first coat on. If you don't have any bare spots it looks OK. I have some rails in the cockpit I will need to take down to bare wood and will redo with the Sea Gold. It goes on easy and levels nicely. Going back for a 2nd coat in 30 minutes. We'll see about the no sanding thing. The rest is more for protection so let's see how log it lasts. I did a scuff sand with 180.
Old 04-08-2020, 20:02   #9

The problem with just see gold is it is water based and will not seal the surface adequately to prevent the costing from failing. Two of us have suffered failures of the coating much earlier than a varnish. My brother in Seattle had catastrophic failures in several months from a beautiful application to a disgusting looking boat. Here in Michigan I at least got a full season out of it. It needs a seal coat on the wood along with the sea gold. Not certain which would come first. Stopping it all off and going to epifanes in my case. But see gold is very cool because of the quick resist time. To days you can have your served coats. Epifanes is a minimum of seven days off good weather.
ric14854 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish