Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 20:18   #46

Re: Pick a lettering design....

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know, is there anything against putting boats name and a city on the stern if your not CG registered?
I see boats with the name, hailing port on the stern and State registration on the bow, so I assume they are not CG registered
or perhaps once were but are no longer.

Or the skipper thought it was "cool."

Ya never know.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 20:25   #47

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Most states require the state registration on documented vessels with the state registration "sticker" on the bow, but not the registration "numbers" on the bow.
The US government prohibits the display of state registration numbers on a USCG documented vessels. Registration stickers are OK, but not all states require displaying a sticker. California does not register USCG documented vessels, but they will be on the tax rolls.
Old 23-03-2016, 04:54   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The US government prohibits the display of state registration numbers on a USCG documented vessels. Registration stickers are OK, but not all states require displaying a sticker. California does not register USCG documented vessels, but they will be on the tax rolls.
"Tax rolls" is referring to what form of taxation in California? Our Florida tax is only the registration with the sticker which amounts to about $190 annually for our 41' boat & dinghy. Of course, Florida does take a sales tax on vessels purchased that remain in the state.
Old 23-03-2016, 07:13   #49

Boat: Pearson 30 #995 - "Grey Goose"
Send a message via AIM to clucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbranch View Post
Trademark law is tricky, sure they could send me a cease and deist letter, but trademarks are usually corned into certain industries. Here's a trademark search for Black Dog.

There's black dog wines, guns etc. Trademarks are usually defended if one party could be mistaken for another who has claim to the name. So if I opened a restaurant there might be an issue. I don't expect they'll have an issue with it.
My P30 is named Grey Goose. On a whim, I reached out to see if the Grey Goose folks would provide or sell me any swag. Nothing yet (hah!) though I did find some nice 'official' Grey Goose hats and golfshirts on eBay. I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you're ahem... borrowing the dog head logo from them. It might be an issue if your boat were named McDonalds and featured 2 golden arches, or perhaps had a pumpout boat named Chipotle...
clucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 13:46   #50

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
"Tax rolls" is referring to what form of taxation in California? Our Florida tax is only the registration with the sticker which amounts to about $190 annually for our 41' boat & dinghy. Of course, Florida does take a sales tax on vessels purchased that remain in the state.
Each California county assesses annual property taxes on our type of boat as of January 1 of each year. (If one sells their boat after January 1, they are still liable for tax payment that year.) Tax rate depends on location, and the amount of tax is based on the boat's assessed value. USCG documented or state registered, it does not matter. (California does not register USCG-documented boats.)
Old 23-03-2016, 14:13   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Be aware that the Black Dog chain of restaurants may have something to say about your design if they get wind of it. The Black Dog

My suggestion would be to make sure your lettering does not infringe on any trademarks or copyrights that they own. No one wants a cease and desist letter.
I think The Black Dog in Weymouth may have something to say about that, if they pursue such nonsense.

It dates back to the 1500's.

Black Dog Weymouth - The best Pub in Weymouth

eta: There is a large Italian cured ham business that got the EU to try and shut down a cured ham maker in Carmarthen, West Wales. When the process and antiquity was delved, it became apparent that the rather large Italian cured ham business, probably stole the recipe from the ancestors of the people curing ham in Carmarthen.

Things went very quiet about the matter after.

I can't decide which of the 3 looks best, as the eye patch looks good in all of them (it looks like it's the same as my eye patch - I did lose one a couple of days ago, did the dog find it?).
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:16   #52

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I lean towards 3 also.

Here is info for the guy that cut mine. It came out nice and price was competitive.

"Your Custom Imprint on Almost Anything!"
Office (908)-788-8891
Cell (908)-328-2474
Krees Sales & Service LLC – Promotional Product
Screenprinting, Embroidery, Digital Printing, & Promotional Products
We support MADE IN USA, our Troops, and any effort to fight Cancer
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 14:20   #53

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Here is what it looked like.

The color difference is my mistake. To save money I reused an old home port sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOS graphics.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	121326  
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote