Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2022, 13:03   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Pine as cabin sole

Hi all,

I was reading up on the USS Constitution and found out that the decks were made from Southern US pitch pine, a kind of yellow pine. It was also stained very dark. I feel like this is not a very popular look/wood in boats today, although with a white overhead and adequate light it can look sort of stately. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a modern boat with a pine interior plank sole? Just curious. I know it’s pretty soft, but also easy to work with. It was also very plentiful. So maybe I’d be answering my own question if I asked why they used it for planks on active duty warships.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 14:11   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Pine as cabin sole

I would guess it was used because it was cheap and plentiful.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 14:55   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

You are in CA. correct? How about red wood? Very rot resistant.

If you were on the east coast, would suggest an indigenous species like white oak. When I did our cabin sole and made the white stripes out of white oak it was cheap. A 16'x 6"x 5/4 was $10.50 per board. It has gone up and maybe $19 now.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 15:08   #4

redwood would be a pretty poor choice. It is SOFT. Really southern yellow pine is classified as a "softwood" but in reality it is very hard.

It might depend on the boat, and the look you wanted. Pine floors in houses (I have had them) are "rustic" because they accumulate dents and bumps. Not exactly a "yachty" look.

For an interior wood, there is no real need for rot resistance, but the wood should be HARD if you want the floor to be flat and shiny and good looking. Cherry, Oak, Teak, all good. Mahogany is marginal, its a bit soft. In light colored woods, ash would be excellent, as would hickory. In VERY light colored woods, holly is exceptional, but probably out of any reasonable budget.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cabin sole